More Star Trek: TNG?

HAhahahhahahahaha well done guys.

So I actually had this thing:

I thought it was so cool at the time. I was so wrong.

Only if his first name was actually Ricky.

It turns out that I actually did watch most of DS9. I’ll start watching an episode and realize that I know how it ends, but I can’t remember how we get from A to B. It’s a pretty weird experience.

As much as I love TNG, I often feel like Worf is the only adult on the ship. He’ll say something like “maybe we should raise shields?” and then Picard, who is supposed to be so wise, says “no, forget the shields, let’s get into this stranger’s van and accept the candy he’s offering us”. In one of my favorite episodes of DS9, Garak solves a problem that nobody else is willing to get their hands dirty on, and for once in Star Trek history he isn’t painted as the bad guy. It’s hard to compare the two shows though. If TNG hadn’t existed, it wouldn’t need DS9 to point out its shortcomings.

It would be entirely unfair to paint a simple tailor as a bad guy.

I’m midway through season 5 and I swear I don’t remember any of this.

Of course DS9 didn’t get rerun 50000 times like TNG did and it had a lot more of a overall storyline.

Holy shit is this show downright amazing. Like straight up some of the best stuff ever on TV (barring the stupid one-off episodes that crop up occasionally and those are easy to skip when you see where it’s going, if you want to, in the digital age).

In S3-5 stride, even those are fantastic.

God damn right. So glad you’re enjoying it!

Most of them turn out to matter in some way at this point, but there are a few others that are pure schlocky silly crap.

One practical difference between “Old” TV and “New” TV is merely the amount of episodes they used to have to come up with. back then. It really stands out to me now. Other “new” (air quotes here) items have come and gone in the industry. Running plotlines versus episodic stand alones, f’rinstance. Continuing stories are seen as a hallmark of “new” TV but were there until they started to fade in the 60s due to commercial and audience testing concerns. But the sheer number of episodes has decreased per season. That is a hard number (down from 24ish to what we see today). It should prevent “filler”. It doesn’t…

Many filler episodes end up being strong character building, so I don’t mind them most of the time.

But the time travel type stuff I tend to skip after a bit. I get it, they’re in the wrong time and everything will turn out like the history books said they did with some little wonky thing. I mean the Kirk one was fun, so I watched it, but obviously it was skippable in the grand scheme of things.

The do a better job even with holodeck episodes in DS9 than they did in TNG.

The TOS episode is priceless. The Art Direction, and use of rich technicolor was fantastic. Really a stand out.

I even liked the Roswell one, even though it was a Ferengi one-off time travel episode.

It’s fantastic. A “meh” standalone is the one where Quark and Odo are forced to survive while shipwrecked.

Each season had at least one or two clunkers though that were pretty bad. And I can pick them out just by episode description now.

Season 3 - Fascination - A mysterious virus causes the DS9 characters to begin falling in love with each other on sight.

Season 4 - . The Muse - An alien helps Jake realize his writing potential, but its hidden motives may have dangerous consequences.

Season 5 - . Let He Who Is Without Sin… - While vacationing with Dax on Risa, Worf becomes involved with an extremist essentialist group who wants to destroy the false illusion of paradise.

Season 6 - Profit and Lace - When Grand Nagus Zek is cashiered from office after giving Ferengi females the right to wear clothing, Quark must pose as a woman to convince another Ferengi official that women have the ability to contribute to Ferengi society.

Season 7 - The Emperor’s New Cloak - The Grand Nagus goes missing in the mirror universe, leading Quark and Rom on a mission to track him down.

Each a standalone episode that was pretty bad. Though I guess the Ferengi episodes all have a throughline, so are not completely standalone. But mostly they are. And I guess that last one was also a mirror universe episode, so there is that. It’s a shame that the last mirror universe episode was a Ferengi episode.

That one in particular really sucks.

You’re talking about “The Ascent”! I loved that episode. Especially on its original airing. But I enjoyed it a lot even on the DVD-rewatch.

I didn’t hate it…it was just “Meh” for me.

I didn’t mind it.

I did skip The Muse though once I saw where it was going. Netflix’s ability to scan ahead is helpful as hell for seeing if anything looks interesting in the frame as you pass the mouse over it.

Hit Let He Who Is Without Sin the other night. It was okayish. You had character development with Dax and Worf and the whole Julian/whatshername thing was relevant going forward as plot progression. But yeah it was… pretty stupid as an overall plot.

I’m sort of paranoid about skipping most of them because often Important Things can happen in what seems like it might be a throwaway. I’m usually doing something else at the same time so if seems like a forgettable one I just don’t pay much attention, while the good ones make me stop whatever it is I’m farting around with and pay attention.