More Star Trek: TNG?

Drunk Troi is the only acceptable Troi

Except in Star Trek: First Contact.

I thought it was really neat that Marina Sirtis could hide her think British accent completely when playing Counselor Troi on the series. And then in Star Trek: First Contract, Troi got drunk and started talking with a British accent? What the hell? It was such a weird and horrible 4th wall breaking moment. They wanted to show off Marina Sirtis’ real accent I guess? Why? In the context of the story, why would Troi suddenly start talking in that accent for the first time?

God, I hate that movie so much. It’s worse than Star Trek V.

Wow, that’s like calling someone a bucket of intestines.

If we’re being real there are only 2 good Star Trek movies, Khan and Undiscovered Country. The rest are at best long episodes of the tv show, and at worst Star Trek Nemesis.

There is almost no redeeming qualities in V. I watched it for the first time maybe two years back.

It is hot garbage. Maybe not worse than Nemesis, but not better either.

Well, it is better just because it’s funnier. It turns a corner for me as a hilarious parody of TOS crew. Bear in mind I did NOT feel that way in 198whatever in the theater. There I felt like someone had spit in my face. But today, it’s hilarity. Much higher MST3K quotient:

http://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/trio-gif.gif

http://i.imgur.com/zJSCCM7.gif

All Nemesis has is the Dune buggy. In fact the TNG movies did a lot to chip away at the goodwill I had built up to overcome the Season 1-2 awfulness of TNG. I was one of those TOS fans who felt positively insulted by S1-2. Then it was all good. And DS9! Yay!

Then, incomprehensible boring nonsense and Kirk dead for…I dunno, I STILL don’t understand that movie.

Then…First Contact. Hi retconned wacky Zefram! Where’s Michael J. Fox? Borg Queen!!? Sure, sure…

And so on…

At least, except for V, all the TOS films that were “just episodes” were good freaking episodes.

I also enjoyed it as an introduction to the TOS crew. I know that won’t be true for most people, since people will have either seen one of the other TOS movies first, or they will have seen the TV show first. But for me, Star Trek V was the introduction to the TOS crew after having seen TNG for 5 seasons, and I really appreciated how ST V emphasized Kirk, Spock and McCoy’s friendship. TNG didn’t really have any strong friendships like that, so for me it was a big change to go from TNG to Original Crew, and see the friendship between these three. It really made me interested in checking out the TV show and the rest of the Star Trek movies.

In retrospect, now that I’ve seen the original series, and all the movies, yeah, it’s pretty bad. Even the friendship between them is shown via a ham-handed “row row row your boat”. But when I didn’t know these characters yet, when I didn’t know Kirk, Spock, McCoy, the whole row row row your boat bit worked for me. And when they’re imprisoned together and talking about at least they were imprisoned together, I don’t know, that stuff got to me when these characters were new to me.

And the funny thing is, DS9 abounded in friendships like that, didn’t it?

Hence my ratings for Star Trek Series:
1.) TOS
2.) DS9
3.) TNG
4.) Enterprise
5.) Voyager
6.) The New Dreck

Muahahaha…lists have begun…we’ll have fisticuffs by this evening…

Until the new show manages to beat the Voyager episode where the captain and first mate turn into lizards because they flew too fast, then Voyager will always be safely at the bottom.

It totally did.

Have you seen the new show? What is your ranking?

Well, no, not beyond the pilot. But I have faith that it’s better than Voyager at least.

It’s such a tough call to make. All the characters on STD are stupid and annoying, but none of them are Neelix.

I like Janeway. So that is why STD won the race to the bottom for me. The unlikeables cancel each otter out.

I’ll also say that ENT has increased it’s appeal to me upon re-watching.

Heh…

That was awesome.

I bought in to watch the first half of Discovery. There was nothing compelling to make me buy back into watch the back half in the spring.

Which surprised me, because I have a gigantic crush on Jason Isaacs.

I am not that huge of a Trek fan, but it’s part of my cultural baseline as it is for any nerdy kid of my generation. I have two observations:

1. Star Trek III is awesome. Anyone who disagrees clearly had other things to watch than a recorded off TV VHS tape as a kid.

2. You guys are awesome and have made this thread super fun even if I don’t have much to contribute. Nice work, team!

For me

TOS
TNG
DS9
Enterprise

That’s it. Nothing else to see here. Move along.

Its just a lot of unlikable characters in a sci fi mush.