More trouble for BMX XXX

Maybe Acclaim will stop making shitty, low-brow games now?

The real pity of this is that Z-Axis is now saddled with the rep of having made this turd. They are sorely overlooked IMO, as Dave Mirra 2 was a very strong title and Aggressive Inline had all the innovations Tony Hawk 4 had about six months before TH4. Their games aren’t perfect – it’s comically easy to land their stunts, and their texture and physics need work-- but their design is solid.

Thankfully they’ve been able to escape the burning wreckage of Acclaim and move to Activision where hopefully good things will follow.

The suit is for $21 million, which is damn near half of Acclaim’s total market capitalization.

I’m actually pretty excited to hear that they’re going to Activision. I certainly don’t have any inside knowledge of how they work, but Activision seems a bit more realiable and steady than Acclaim. Z-Axis seems like they just need someone to have some faith in thier skills and let them polish up their products. The Dave Mirra 2 was great, and Aggressive Online was fun, but it felt like one of those games where you know they cut corners left and right.

Dave Mirra 2 was pretty good… but I really preferred Matt Hoffman’s Pro BMX 2. But Aggressive Inline is a pretty swank game–didn’t think fruitbooting (that’s rollerblading for any fruitbooters) could be translated to a game overly well.

If they lose this lawsuit will we see Turok standing by the offramp with a sign begging for change?

As I remember it, at some point past Acclaim announced that it had reached an amicable agreement with Mirra, would drop his name from XXX, but give him another game. I wonder whether that fell through or what, because if he reached an agreement with them I wouldn’t think that leaves a lot of room for legal wrangling.

I believe the article said that that agreement was reached and his name would be disassociated from the game, but Acclaim continued to use his name in ads.