Mormons

Dear Mormons,

Unless my demands are met, I will retroactively baptize every church elder who died before 1900 into the Church of Satan. This will result in their planetary sovereignty privileges being revoked. Gather eight million dollars in non-consecutive small bills. I will be in contact with payment details at a later date.

The Jews could always get revenge by doing proxy circumcision.

No, you are arguing from authority that is not allowed!

In all seriousness, I appreciate this effort on the part of the Mormons! What if they’re right? I didn’t even have to pay anything, and I still get to go to heaven. I’ll be sure to high-five the first Mormon I see there.

Ah that’s the part I was wondering, I had just assumed that they were given the opportunity to do everything there at which point I just assumed everyone would jump through the hoops.

Well thanks for the info.

The PBS show is pretty good, but really the SP stuff is about all you need. And Wildpokerman has it right. Mormons aren’t doing it because they think it will make everyone Mormon, they’re doing it because they think everyone needs to have it done to get to heaven. So you die, they baptize you by proxy, and you still choose up in heaven whether you’ll accept it or not.

As for baptizing Mormons by proxy to become Catholic, I doubt they’d care if you believe the same way they do. Because they assume they’d just reject your proxy baptism up in heaven.

If they recognized your religious authority to do anything of the sort, there might be a problem. Since they don’t, do whatever you want. This is the view the Jewish complainers should have. Are they really so certain Judism will be scrubbed from the face of the world in 100 years? Keep your records safe! Besides, what about Mormons of Jewish decent? Should they be barred from performing this ritual for their own ancestors?

Anyway, Mormonism isn’t any weirder than any of the world’s other major religions. It is just newer. At least in their view poor little African children don’t burn in hell for eternity just because they were born in the wrong place and died before a missionary could find them.

If you don’t believe in the Mormon Religion, why would you care if they baptize you posthumously?

The Jews come off as the crazy ones in that story.

Bullshit.

If you’re a major religion, you don’t fuck with other major denominations like that. It’s fucking blasphemous. Period.

He’s not? First I’ve heard of this.

In the Deep South, where most of the right-wing, Conservative, religious population lies, Mormons aren’t exactly held in high esteem. They’re viewed as being a dangerous cult, same as the Scientologists, even among intellectuals.

Yeah, some small itty bitty part of me thinks the Mormons are trying to do nice by baptizing dead peeps like this - but the rest of me remembers that religious wars were brought about over far smaller things.

It’s just a dick move all around.

Baptisms for the dead performed by Mormons are completely inconsequential to the practice of Judaism. That is the fact. It’s like complaining that someone is praying for you. Maybe the thought annoys you, but hey, you don’t even believe in the power of prayer and it doesn’t have any material effect on how you carry yourself in the world, so grow the hell up and get over it.

I dunno its not quite like praying for someone. I’d say its more like giving a funeral of a denomination they were never a member of, and possibly would have opposed. But that’s not quite right either, maybe having your parents in law baptize your son without your permission while you believe strongly in another religion is closer. It didn’t really hurt him and they were baby sitting anyway right?

I dunno it just feels like a violation in any case.

I don’t have any problem with it myself – if some descendant wants to posthumously baptize me as a Mormon, well, I won’t care, 'cause I’m dead. And, if they actually turn out to be correct, salvation, whee!

They think Catholicism is a dangerous cult, too.

Not since I lived there. Unless this is a new thing.

Seriously, is Catholicism not accepted in the south?

I can understand God not having physical sex with Mary, and aliens not nuking volcanoes, but… no Catholicism?

From what I know, it’s softened in recent years, but evangelicals generally don’t like Papists.

That’s what I love about the geeks writing an encyclopedia - all massacre listings must have the weapons used listed in the rightside box like it’s some sort of trump cardgame.

Guns and Bowie knifes? Pfffft!

If by “recent years” you mean, “the past thirty,” then yes, it’s softened.

Maybe I went to the wrong churches and schools, but nobody I knew seemed to have a problem with Catholicism. They didn’t necessarily like the idea of a Pope, but since it didn’t affect 'em, they didn’t care.

(Just a FYI, I’m honestly in the position in that I just don’t know what Evangelical and Catholic differences are in the south. I didn’t mean to be snarky, just curious. )