Morrowind: Finally done

That’ll sell like hotcakes. :wink:

You all have me thouroughly confused as to whether I am going to enjoy Morrowind or not. I really wanted to be told if I was going to like it or not, but with the crevasse that seperates the detractors and supporters, I will just have to see for myself. Darn it.[/quote]

LOL! OK, that’s why I’d have to become rich to get it produced. But heck, it’s all marketing, right? Photo’s of a rainy street, hot “dames”, guns, etc. We could sell it - hey, if for no other reason it’s different - I get damned tired of orcs and wizards and (sorry, Bruce) elves.

As for the confusion on Morrowind - that’s what makes reviewing games so easy and black and white. ;) It all depends on what you want in a game. For me, RPGs are more about the environment and the game world and the freedom to actually role play and not about “winning”; for others it’s all about making progress as fast as possible and getting to an end game and defeating the big woozle.

I really enjoy Morrowind, not for the storyline, or for the quests, but for the freedom it gives me to invent a character in my head and play it out. For the massive world, that makes anything seem possible. Maybe it’s a cop out, but I genuinely enjoy running around in this massive world, feeling like I’m actually there, creating a character in my head and sticking to it.

That’ll sell like hotcakes. :wink:

You all have me thouroughly confused as to whether I am going to enjoy Morrowind or not. I really wanted to be told if I was going to like it or not, but with the crevasse that seperates the detractors and supporters, I will just have to see for myself. Darn it.[/quote]

LOL! OK, that’s why I’d have to become rich to get it produced. But heck, it’s all marketing, right? Photo’s of a rainy street, hot “dames”, guns, etc. We could sell it - hey, if for no other reason it’s different - I get damned tired of orcs and wizards and (sorry, Bruce) elves.
[/quote]

Oh, I would still buy it. :) I do not have to have sultry elf vixens, idiot barbarians, and fat n’ grumpy dwarves. However, as much as people (incl. me) beg for new ideas and characters to become and play with, there is something to be said for being comfortable with the conventional subject matter found in all genres.

I imagine it has something to do with what you cut your teeth on in literature and gaming growing up. I read almost no science fiction, played no tabletop games or PnP RPGs in that genre*, and now seem to not enjoy space themed strategy games as much.

I dunno. I have both Icewind Dales to play as well. Obviously, terribly different. I loaded ID, but all of this Morrowind talk is making me reconsider. Time being a factor and the way I like to procrastinate, I may just ride the fence, play neither and wait for a gritty, hard-boiled detective RPG to be released. Make sure you include cigarettes as an energy booster that reduce your health over time.

*Never played, but did not stop me from buying and messing with Star Frontiers, Traveller, Top Secret, and a few others. :)

How do you have time to play games when you post so much, anyway?

Morrowind is worth a shot. The beauty of it is that you’ll within the first several hours whether or not you’ll like it. It’s pretty consistent. Obviously, your character gets better, but the game doesn’t change much in the style of play from start to finish.

And that’s 1000!!!

If you haven’t played Morrowind the best way to play it is read up in the manual, not the net, create a character that sounds fun, and don’t worry about whether your picked skills that don’t work as well as others. Don’t read any FAQ or guides EVER, else 3/4 of the game will be spoiled, and since its a static world once you know where X and Y are you can’t ever go back and unlearn their existance. My favorite character, and the one i got the most enjoyment from, was the first one i made. I remember picking 2$ flowers over and over just to make enough money to buy rooms at the inn. Now, i can walk out of the first town with over 2k+, with any character :/. Play it like one of those old Choose Your Own Adventure childrens’ novels, that were always the best the first time through.

Ditto.