Morrowind Tips?

Just install the expansions. There is no consequence to doing that with one minor exception. Installing Tribunal causes soem random assassination attacks on you. You might wind up dead very early in the game. But one the other hand, if you kill off the assassin, you can loot him for some sweet armour.

The expansions also fixed the journal system to some extent. It allows you to view quests and see what quests you still have outstanding, but there’s bugs (in Morrowind? inconceivable!) which causes quests to stay even after completion. Plus, if you fail a quest, it never goes away. And you may find quests in your journal that you didn’t start because you just happened to stumble across something.

The random assassin in Tribunal became a huge pain for me. I couldn’t rest without being hit by one and I was far too low level to take him out. Ended up giving up on my re-play of Morrowind.

JD

Just install the expansions. There is no consequence to doing that with one minor exception. Installing Tribunal causes soem random assassination attacks on you. You might wind up dead very early in the game. But one the other hand, if you kill off the assassin, you can loot him for some sweet armour.

The expansions also fixed the journal system to some extent. It allows you to view quests and see what quests you still have outstanding, but there’s bugs (in Morrowind? inconceivable!) which causes quests to stay even after completion. Plus, if you fail a quest, it never goes away. And you may find quests in your journal that you didn’t start because you just happened to stumble across something.[/quote]

The expansions also fixed the journal system to some extent. It allows you to view quests and see what quests you still have outstanding, but there’s bugs (in Morrowind? inconceivable!) which causes quests to stay even after completion. Plus, if you fail a quest, it never goes away. And you may find quests in your journal that you didn’t start because you just happened to stumble across something.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. It sounds like I should install Bloodmoon right away and leave Tribunal alone until I can fend off this evil assasin dude (or dudet).

I actually took out the asssassin dude, piece of cake, at level 1… and half dead, besides. I didn’t know he was a Tribunal guy. Just sleep in a hotel if you really can’t beat him, but I thought it was pretty damn easy.

Thanks for the tip. It sounds like I should install Bloodmoon right away and leave Tribunal alone until I can fend off this evil assasin dude (or dudet).[/quote]

I hate the assassin, very poorly done.

If you lose, you lose over and over (or just get good at running away). If you win, you have a corpse full of armor and weapons that are better than 70% of the weapons in the game for that class. Or thousands of dollars free (making virtually all the lower level quests pointless).

That event epitomizes the lack of balanced gameplay that plagued the whole of Morrowind.

If you want a head-start to powerlevelling, an “its in the game so its fair but ridiculously overpowered”, i’ll post how to get a certain key to a certain vault :).

Oh boo hoo about mages :). Seriously mages were extremely powerful and way more flexible than other classes. Their were the only class that doesn’t own half the world as they step off the boat. But again the actual numbers regarding magic weren’t thought out very well, and many spells were useless or virtually impossible to cast for their mana cost.

Download some content plugins and the like, but don’t try to read too much strategy guides. At this point I’m sure you’ve seen the 14 minute (?) runthrough of Morrowind. You really don’t want to powergame that much, just play it and you’ll love it :).

p.s. there is a glass set of armor in Ghostgate ^_^

Could someone explain to me what the deal with armor is? I’m a knight, so I’m specializing in heavy armor, and I killed that assassin… all his armor is light, with a rating of 5 AC or less for each piece. This, obviously, does not even begin to compared to my 25 AC cuirass. But it sells for like 1000 gold, with no other obvious enchantments.

I just don’t understand the system. Like, I’ll have on 8 pieces of 25+ AC armor and my overall AC will be 20. How does it work? Is a higher number better? A lower number? What’s the deal?

Armor value is by skill - a ‘newbie’ in heavy armor wouldn’t know enough to tie it together correctly, or how to move around with any dexterity. So goes the logic. There is still a ‘max’ AV associated with Armor types, so an equally skilled light armor will have less AV than the heavy armor types.

http://www.baldurdash.org/TESMW/TESMW.html

Add that one.

There are “must have” and bugfix mods but I should reinstall my backup version to check them.

some good modules can be found here:
http://www.hiredgoons.net/MWFiles/

So what prevents every players to just stick with the heavy armor?

Where’s the disadvantage?

It’s heavy and slows you down.

AC values depend on your skill in a given Armor (look at your character screen). If you have high “Heavy” skill values, then you will get better ACs with “Heavy” armor.

Each armor has a “true” value (you can find that in the Construction Set) and your own skill modifies that “true” value to generate your given AC.

There are Heavy, Medium, Light. Pretty much means if you are bad at Light you will get low Light ACs. It also has something to do with their weight (Heavy armor is indeed more Heavy, so don’t be expecting to wear a set of Daedric armor and carrying a lot of loot).

Also you get higher skill points for taking hits while wearing armor. I suggest majoring/minoring in Light and Heavy (I majored in Light, minored in Heavy). Don’t bother with Medium, all their armor is crap (you’d think the Shiny Ordinator armor would be Medium, but nooooo) and there is too few Medium armor in the game.

The reason I recommend majoring in Light is because if you wear Heavy armor you won’t have a lot of room for loot. Best Light armor is Glass and that blue icy one you on the nordic island (If you have Bloodmoon expansion).

So what prevents every players to just stick with the heavy armor?

Where’s the disadvantage?[/quote]

You move slowly becaue of the weight - in full plate very slowly. However this is not a tactical disadvantage; the majority of enemies are far too stupid to do anything painful with your slow speed. What it does do is make playing and hauling loot around painfully tedious. I suppose it is possible that you’d get killed by a faster enemy in plate if you can’t get away, although the instant cast town portal spells are an easy way out for any character.

It also restricts, by a great deal, certain actions like jumping. I also think certain skills like sneaking get penalties with heavy armor (or maybe, heavy boots).

Again- Morrowind was not a balanced game. If your looking for obvious flaws that could be improved upon, please move on to blog another, far less easy, target :).

The only downside to not installing Tribunal is that it happens to have a bunc of merchants with a lot of cash. But then again, they are bit of pain to get to.

*** mini-spoiler ***
You will get attacked by assassins. But if you successfully kill one and ask a guard about it, you’ll get pointed to a certain person to talk to. If you have a chat with that person, the attacks will stop.

As for getting the overpowered armour, well, you can always just leave it on the ground.

The vital mods I have include Merkin’s Multi-mod, which includes changes
to movement speed, encumbrance limits, underwater time and rate of
fire with bows. There are others, but I only kept the bits I needed;
each of these is a separate modfile.

I also use a regeneration booster mod, Real Signposts (best graphical
mod/fix ever - why did the game insist on you mousing over signs, damn
it?) and a mod you will really love…the cliffracer remover.

The last mod also puts a note in the game about the Anti-Cliffracer Front,
or something like that :)

The nice-to-have mods are:
Animal Realism (some animals simply won’t attack, others will gain a
survival instinct - especially nice if you elect to not remove cliffracers)

Balmora Guild Door - adds a door between the mage and fighter guilds
(you’ll soon learn to love it)

Damage Report - displays a hovering description of the target’s current
state of health (lightly injured, near death etc.)

Morrowind Sound Enhancer - replaces some sounds with enhanced/
mixed sounds (for example moans and clangs when you hit metallic foes)

I also have one cheat-mod: It adds an item in a room guarded by a nasty
demon. You can’t possibly beat it at level 1, so you have to suffer a bit
first. This item, when worn, regenerates mana really fast. You’ll have to
wait about 5-10 seconds to refill, but it’s close enough to instant to make
maigc an enjoyment to use.

Also, I added a house right in Seyda Need that I found somewhere.
Locked boxes exist to pick when you have the skill, and a magic door
leads you straight to Balmora. I’m thinking of making a more optimised
little hut like this, as it’s in three separate maps. Too much walking :)