Mortal Kombat 2021

This was a worse than usual Mortal Kombat movie though.

Of the three (live action) ones, I think it’s probably in the middle.

I am so over CG blood. If it doesn’t get on the actors and the set, don’t even bother showing it to me. Seriously, just save your budget because I’m not interested in the least.

Also, I can’t believe they cut Chun Li. Spinning Bird Kicks or GTFO.

-Tom

It’s very weird to invent an audience surrogate character to introduce the world to, only to eventually reveal many of the characters from the game lack any real knowledge of the tournament, meaning any of them could have served that purpose.

Easily the most baffling choice of the movie. He’s not interesting, he doesn’t serve any useful plot role, and he’s not from the game, so what is the point of him?

I don’t know much of the MK lore but I can imagine that was sort of the appeal—as weak as the writing was, they could at least have the freedom to establish their own stakes, make him sympathetic, give him a family, etc. Not saying they succeeded.

But it’s MK. Pick a trope and you’ll have a character to use.

“Cole! Use your uppercut!”

Wasn’t it “Dad, use your uppercut”? Even sillier.

It probably was. I honestly checked out by that point.

It’s Mortal Kombat! Why are you staging a fight scene with Goro in the dirt driveway of a shack? That’s the best you can do?

I watched up to the Title Card last night. That was great! Much better than I was expecting. But judging from this thread, it’s all downhill from there.

I was a little sad that they didn’t get Christopher Lambert back to play Raiden.

I don’t understand why or how you would make a serious MK movie.

Was this? Genuinely curious, if this was a “serious” MK movie then I gotta go back and watch the other ones, they must be insane-pants.

I can’t believe Jax was Jimmy Olsen on CW Supergirl?!

Were there any babalities?

They showed restraint.

woooooo I agree with rei on something

Anyway, I am watching Mortal Kombat: Konquest, TV show from 1998.

It has Daniel Bernhardt and Kristanna Loken in it.

I am 40 minutes into the first episode and it is great (hilariously bad) so far.

We watched it because it was on HBO Max so why not. I felt like I would have enjoyed it more had I played the game and was familiar with these characters. Overall an entertaining popcorn flick, but I’m glad I didn’t pay to see it in the theater.

Probably helps that the really clunky callouts to the game didn’t land for you.

Let’s just repeat announcer catch phrases from the game without earning them.