Mortal Shell

Oh, interesting. I just checked a week or so ago and September was indicated. Hope it reviews well.

I still can’t tell if this game is terrible or not.

You’re going to play it and report back to the rest of us whether it is or not.

And we thank you for your service.

I wasn’t thrilled by the beta. Hope they make some tweaks.

I just made it through The Surge II (not bad, not good) so I’m on Soulslike break time.

Heck, last night I started to doubt whether I wanted to do another playthrough of Nioh 2 using this new DLC. (Then I played for an hour and remembered how awesome it is.)

Nioh games are more like Ninja Gaiden rather than Souls-likes, right? That’s the impression I got from the demo and their threads. I loved Ninja Gaiden back in the day, but I’m not sure if I’ve got the reflexes and skills for that type of game anymore now that I’m older. And more importantly, I doubt that I’ll find it as much fun as I did back then.

They are always, always counted among the soulsish games, but…to me they play very differently, I don’t know. The stance stuff, the extremely fast pace of combat, the unpredictability of the enemies…it just doesn’t “feel” like Souls stuff to me. To make a tortured analogy, From games feel like the stereotypical stoic sword master training a pupil, kicking his ass deftly time after time, always going, “again!” and so forth. Nioh feels like Nelson Muntz going “ha ha!” at me half the time.

Souls + Ninja Gaiden + Diablo

@Kolbex You’re just getting used to it. Eventually it’s supposed to feel like this:

MortalMortal Shell is described as a “soulslike” game on its official site, but it’s really a version of Dark Souls designed for people who don’t have enough time for Dark Souls .

Mortal Shell is a fraction of the size of other soulslikes, and that’s reflected in its $30 price tag. There are no side quests, distractions, or minigames. The reduced size and scope compared to similar games doesn’t restrict Mortal Shell as much as it focuses and concentrates it, leaving no room for bloat.

Mortal Shell becomes great by not being afraid to offer less. It’s refined and elegant in its simplicity, without sacrificing quality, mechanics, or challenge. And that makes Mortal Shell incredible.

LOL I had read that as 'Dark Sould without the garbage" and I was like oh wow

I didn’t read the article or play the beta, but from watching some streams, it looks like it still has the same old crap with boss runs and questionable checkpoints. To me, that’s the tedious baggage of Dark Souls that nobody has time for.

No one has ever thought of side quests as baggage, and I have no idea what distractions or minigames people are getting into with Soulslikes.

Anybody planning on jumping into this today? I know I’m gonna get it, the question is only now or a month or two from now.

Reviews say it’s pretty short, 10-15h. If I wasn’t playing Remnant:From the ashes right now I’d probably try it, but as it is I can wait a bit. I haven’t come across any info regarding replayability though,is there ng+?

Yes, there is ng+.

From what I’ve seen so far, there are no boss runs at all - if you die, you respawn either right next to the boss cave (1 boss) or right in the boss room (2 boss fights to get new weapons).

I really like it so far, except for the farmable healing items (mushrooms), Demon Souls style. I am weak, if I can farm healing items, I end up spending hours doing just that.

Really solid soulslike and it’s getting good reviews across the board from what I’ve seen.

Well that’s good news. It still seems pretty janky, but I’ll keep it on my radar at least.

Whenever I play a 3rd person melee action game and it does not feel like Souls, I don’t feel playing it

I need enemy lock on, if I hit an enemy it needs to feel like it connects. How does it feel? Soulslike or not?

You didn’t play the beta? I haven’t played the full release, but my understanding is it doesn’t differ substantially from the beta, and my impression of it then was: more soulslike than most that share that name, but pretty ponderous, kind of like Lords of the Fallen.

I checked videos and it got great looks, almost soulslike. I think I will get it, it is not expensive and 15-20 hrs sounds managable. Dark Souls 3 took me 70-80 hrs. But the game kept giving …

So what’s the verdict on Mortal Shell?

It’s already like half the price of a regular new game on PSN and now it’s 20% off as well. That sounds like they’re trying to quickly sell off a dud to me.

Mortal Shell is sus guys…

I think the general consensus is it’s a pretty good soulslike if you don’t go in expecting the world. It’s a shortish game made by a small team which explains its lower price, and it doesn’t seem too early for a small discount to me.