Most heartbreaking single article you've ever read online?

You should really try the other two. I noticed most people only clicked the hermit story, for some reason. I guess that resonates the most here 🤔

Definitely get to the Bounty story. It’s fascinating. All three are quite different.

That is a great one, I had read that one before! As I recall they had a decent life despite their total isolation?

When they first got to know the geologists, the family would accept only a single gift—salt. (Living without it for four decades, Karp said, had been “true torture.”)

ah, there it is

Perhaps the saddest aspect of the Lykovs’ strange story was the rapidity with which the family went into decline after they re-established contact with the outside world. In the fall of 1981, three of the four children followed their mother to the grave within a few days of one another. According to Peskov, their deaths were not, as might have been expected, the result of exposure to diseases to which they had no immunity. Both Savin and Natalia suffered from kidney failure, most likely a result of their harsh diet. But Dmitry died of pneumonia, which might have begun as an infection he acquired from his new friends.

As of 2013 one of them was still alive, the remaining daughter?

Karp Lykov died in his sleep on February 16, 1988, 27 years to the day after his wife, Akulina. Agafia buried him on the mountain slopes with the help of the geologists, then turned and headed back to her home. The Lord would provide, and she would stay, she said—as indeed she has. A quarter of a century later, now in her seventies herself, this child of the taiga lives on alone, high above the Abakan.

Oh, I definitely will. But at this very moment, I’m reading the hermit story aloud to my girlfriend. Taking a break right now though. It’s a long one to read aloud.

There should be a rule to prevent threads like this. 😢

Yeah, she’s still around afaik. That’s 30 years alone since the last of her family passed. Seems like she gets visitors sometimes, had an old useless neighbour who also passed, a number of animal companions, and have been out of the taiga 6 times in her life.

You are right, all three are very different and made interesting reading. Id love to find more information about the Bounty and what happened in the aftermath. Thanks again for posting. Hope you will continue if you find more.

If only the public - those with the least amount of knowledge about a given situation - would apply some compassion before they so readily condemn others. I felt for the judge. I’ve twice been called for jury duty and was so relieved both times to be dismissed. I’m happy never to be in the position of judging others when the consequences of being wrong can be so tragic.

Here is … one … way to go