Most popular food hacks are faked

Glad I never wasted my time trying to replicate these as it would have been an exercise in frustration.

Hmmm link is not working from BBC?

There we go:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-51504484/the-fake-kitchen-hack

There is a YouTube channel, forgot the name, but she makes all these social media things. None of them work. It’s all a huge scam.

Crazy. I’ve never really seen these but it’s amazing how shit just gets posted, retweeted, liked, etc, without proof.

Pretty sure this is on the level of “microwave your phone to charge it”. It gets views. It might get some backlash from the idiots that actually do it. But ultimately the number of views overwhelms any truth. This is where we are now.

I have often joked about starting my own religion. Hell, L Ron did it. I’m not stupid. I could eventually have thousands of people sending me money.

I just can not do it. I have a conscience. I have morals. But I’ll be damned if every time we are short of cash and wondering if we have to give up internet or not pay HOA fees or taxes, if I don’t start coming up with ways to rob stupid people.

@ArmandoPenblade Call me.

This is the channel I was talking about. Some of it is really good for a laugh.

Just to be clear for anyone that doesn’t click through, Ann Reardon is a food scientist who debunks all this nonsense. She’s actually name checked in the BBC video in the OP.

Teach me not to read the linked article. :-) Sorry guys.

People have been falling for bullshit for millennia. It’s just easier to reach people now, so bullshit is everywhere.

What in the world is a food hack? I think I’m officially “old”.

In the old “home and garden” magazines they’d have called them “tips” or “shortcuts.” “Hack” is unintentionally accurate in this case, though, since the people perpetrating this nonsense are in fact hacks.

Well… for you that would be having a whole animal carcass. In this case a hack would actually be you hacking meat and bone. You would probably have a long sharp knife in one hand. In the dominant hand you would have a heavy cleaver. You would use that for hacking. :)

Thank you. I’m out of here.

I’ve seen a lot of these on Facebook. There is no possible some of these work out, but once in awhile, if you know anything about cooking or baking, you do see something that you think might work and give it a go!

And our schools spend far more time forcing them to memorize things than how to think critically.

What happened to the words “tips” and “tricks”? Are they no longer cool enough?

It’s a marketing hack.

Watch Jeff’s linked video: I didn’t know what they were named either, but even social media allergic me had been exposed to them in some Japan instant messaging app, and they are definitely their own, very particular thing.

These things can have real consequences:

Well that’s just horrible.

I don’t even know what to say. These hacks, and yes I’ve heard the term used for years, are often viewed by young people. I assume many adults have a general idea of what not to do but kids; they’re kids. Bill Nye would never would’ve put something so irresponsible out there just to make millions.

Aside from ones that simply don’t work, or ones that are actively dangerous, there’s another big chunk of these food hacks that are just…kind of pointless. Like ones that may technically work, but are neither easier nor better than just doing it the normal way. Like, the thing where people tell you to separate egg yolks using an empty water bottle is the one that comes to mind immediately.

Yeah that one sounds like an unnecessary mess when you can just use your fingers.