Most popular food hacks are faked

I have never even heard of these food hack channels… But I’ll tell ya just 1 ounce of common sense would dictate that it’s not possible to throw an ear of corn in the microwave and have a come out as a bag of popcorn.

I have you know that decades of watching cartoons tells me otherwise!

Weirdest Youtube channel that’s bubbled up into my sphere recently with its bizarre horribly translated clickbait titles:

I think her schtick is mostly just to make some kind of bread/pancake out of anything and everything 90% of the time, but the titles are really where it’s at, man.

Sure, those look tasty, but what’s the point of making rice pancakes if you are going to add a shitload of flour to it anyway?

Look I hear what you are saying but The cabbage is no longer fried and eaten. The lazy new method is more delicious than the meat.

And sure, there are obvious issues with the thought process there, but My family’s leftover rice is never fried. This way, the child is addicted to it.

Better hacks than gross mukbang videos

Those popped up in my feed too, and I almost clicked them because of the crazy titles. So that’s working.

That cabbage thing looked delicious. But, Lady, that’s not a wok. :)

She’s a master of the just-weird-enough thumbnail to draw you in, too.

Truth be told the third time she turned yet another vegetable into a yeast loaf and baked it, though, I was done with the concept. It’s incredibly slick, well-produced, and honestly gorgeous – the woman’s masterful with presentation and has a steady hand with doughs and the like – but ultimately unfulfilling.

And, I mean, I watch a LOT of cooking Youtube. Probably 30-60 minutes a day, lol.

I just wish that she would curl her fingers when she chopped veggies. It made me nervous.

Guide the knife with your knuckles!

Curl them or lose them. :) I was told this by my grandmother. Her father was a chef in Italy. This is not a new thing.

It’s not but a lot of people cut with the point instead of the back which means not only do they not know how to use a knife properly but they couldn’t possible use knuckles as a guide that way.

I was not taught to cut properly from either of my parents or grandparents. I learned that years later from others.

I get that. For me it was a revelation when one of the first TV chefs (Batali, Flay, Martha?) made a big deal about how to chop veg. Heel of the knife, circular cutting technique, curl the fingers. Hey that’s how grandma does it! :)

I learned it, as with most things of this sort, from Alton Brown.

He was later on for me. But yeah, he makes a big deal of it. As he should.

I didn’t really watch cooking shows until Good Eats.

Heh. You have an old avatar, but you are very young, my friend. :)

I’m firmly middle-aged, but I’m a senile amoral crackpot in spirit. :)

Hey thanks for that! Very informative (and entertaining video).