Most regretted moments of your life

I don’t right now have a single moment that stands out. There are many, many decisions I wish I could change as a whole, but I don’t know what the first domino was. I’d be happy to be in a different place in my life right now, but I’m unsure what I could have done differently to avoid it.

But if I could change one thing, it’d probably be a relationship I had in college. It was my first, and I was worried–in retrospect–that if I didn’t latch onto it and do everything she wanted, I’d be alone forever. It did teach me there are worse things than being alone, but it also scarred me emotionally.

I guess I wish I had realized that I loved history enough to want to study it in graduate school. I would have gone straight through and taken foreign languages to boot, but, at the same time, as much as I wish I had a PhD in early modern or comparative world history, I’d have missed out on experiences along the way that I’m, on the whole, glad I had. I still regret it, though.

I suppose the one that I regret the most was in 1990. I had just had a lovely afternoon, ah, dalliance with a young lady. I showered and left her apartment. From there I hit a bar and had many half and halfs. (Half hard apple cider and half lager) I decided to call another young lady and it turns out that she wanted me to come over. Knowing what was going down I left the bar in a hurry. Crossing the street I was hit by a distracted driver. The rest has been told here before.

Completely changed my life. Surgeries, bills. Constant pain since then. Smart move, Rich.

I loved history growing up and did very well in classes I took. I would have got a history degree but the idea of teaching was a no go for me. Well, I have met a guy who is the head of the Armenian Studies program at a local college. He may teach a class a semester. The rest of the time he is researching materials, whether it be Armenian or not, and it involves studying ancient texts and languages. He described what he does to me once and it opened my mind to things I didn’t know were out there. Of course, there is no money in that end, the money is in the teaching and running the department end.

There are many roads not taken, many signals missed, many words spoken in anger and repented in leisure. I try not to regret too many choices I made, because in aggregate, they got me where I am today. There are a few sins in my C.V. I don’t feel like confessing so publicly, but here is an anecdote I don’t mind sharing. I regret my childish action because I intentionally humiliated people, and I can tell the story because those people are dead.

It was middle school, seventh or eighth grade. I was trying to develop a thicker skin, because it was so painful to be teased or bullied. Why, one girl, let’s call her A for Alice, had even asked me in class if she and I could go together. I asked her to explain what that meant, “go together”. I had suspicions. She said that meant we would talk to each other on the phone, walk around together at the mall some afternoons, and maybe kiss. Every once in a while.

I thought about it. She was awfully pretty… long red hair, pale skin, big brown eyes. I knew her mom was a flight attendant, and she was interested in art, and rumors said that she didn’t have a dad. This made her a little exotic. I also knew she was a terrible student, and, as I could be a self-righteous snob, that was kind of a turnoff.

Even worse, I suspected a trap. There were a number of eyes focused on us as Alice pled her case. I was pretty sure if I said yes, it would turn out to be a big joke, and I would be that big joke’s butt. “Ha ha, he thought he could go with her! What an idiot!” It would not have been the first time. So I told her that at this point in my life, I just wasn’t ready for that kind of commitment, that kind of relationship. She looked let down and went back to her desk. It was many years before any young lady aimed such an obvious sign of interest in my direction.

That wasn’t what I regretted, though.

One of Alice’s friends, let’s call her B for Betsy, came to our school, and they were bad influences on each other. They started listening to Skid Row and Warrant. Their grades got even worse. Worst of all, one day they didn’t show up in class at all. Rumor spread fast in a small classroom: they had skipped school and had wasted the day walking around, window shopping. I had never heard of anything so outrageous. Skipping school was like running away from home, and running away from home was something childish you did in elementary school. (You, your stuffed animals and your backpack got wet in the rain at the end of the driveway before you finally decided to go home.) They came back the next day, sullen and defiant, and in so much trouble. Everyone was gossipping about the runaways. There was even a question of if they would be forbidden to go to the upcoming middle school dance.

But they were allowed to attend the dance.

This wasn’t my first dance. I had been enough dances to start thinking they weren’t for me. Guys stood against one wall of the school cafeteria, girls stood against the opposite wall. Only the bravest kids ever actually slow danced together. Not until the dance was wrapping up, anyway, when boys and girls would grimly or nervously try out putting their hands through someone else’s personal bubble. (Her hand on my shoulder! Her other hand on my other shoulder! My hands, hovering a few inches away from the sides of her waist! My conversational repetoire, wholly consisting of, “So, you having a good time?” Spinning in a circle under the disco ball until, mercifully, “Circle in the Sand” started fading out.) In the meantime, there was just standing, staring, hopping around to Kriss Kross, and sipping punch. Not fun. At least the DJ took requests. He had Top 40 stuff and oldies music, which were my two favorite kinds of music.

I saw Alice and Betsy leaning in their wall together. I was still a little miffed that whatever punishment they’d received for skipping school was so light that they still got to come to the dance. Inspiration struck. I went up to the DJ, giggling a little, and made a request.

The DJ had the song.

“Aaaand this one goes out to Alice and Betsy! It’s Del Shannon’s ‘Runaway’!”

The guitar strummed and the piano played its staccato notes. As I walk along, I wonder, what went wrong… The cafeteria filled with laughter. My classmates knew exactly what that meant. _My little runaway. My run run run run, runaway._The DJ was puzzled, because it wasn’t a funny song. Back on my wall, I bragged to my friends that I was the clever guy that came up with that genius joke. Alice and Betsy made a beeline to the girls’ bathroom before the organ solo ended. I think Betsy was starting to cry. I stopped bragging.

My teacher, let’s call her C for Ms. Carter, stomped over to the DJ. I had never seen her so furious. She must have been asking the DJ who made that request, and I started getting very nervous. Was it possible that I would get it trouble for this? I hadn’t even done anything bad! But fortunately the DJ was a rock. He didn’t nark on me. Neither did my friends that I had been bragging to.

That’s the moment I regret, and it passed. Ms. Carter assumed this was a Mean Girls-style prank, and specifically aimed her sights on a completely uninvolved girl. Let’s call her D for Darlene. Darlene was bawled out, and kept maintaining her innocence. Alice and Betsy felt awful. I never came clean, and I certainly never apologized to them. If no one talked about it, it never happened. And was it a big deal, anyway? Of course not. It was just a song. Everyone picked on those girls, because they were going in the wrong direction. For once, I got to be on the giving side instead of the receiving side. Darlene was collateral damage, but since she didn’t do anything, she’d be fine.

Stupid dances.

We wound up going to different high schools, so I never saw them again after eighth grade. When I was riding the bus as a sophomore, I heard from a friend that Betsy had slit her wrists and died. I’d never known someone who killed themself before. I hadn’t thought of Betsy in years. I was a little sad, but I wasn’t surprised. And I remembered the Del Shannon song. A little later, I heard that Alice got knocked up. A few years later, when I was out of college, I heard that she had picked up a bad case of skin cancer. It spread. Her daughter was an orphan, according to rumor. Alice’s mom was taking care of her.

(Darlene was fine, at least. I ran into her at our high school ten year reunion. She was now a widow, though.)

Okay, so no matter how mean I might have been to Alice, it never ever would have been carcinogenic. A mutual friend (call her E for Erin), years later, told me that Alice actually thought it was pretty funny. And I think Betsy had a pretty rough time at home. That stupid song poking fun at her probably was no more than a blip on the daily list of crap she faced. It certainly wouldn’t have driven her to suicide. Right?

But maybe if I had been less of a d-word and more of a friend, their lives could have been a teensy bit happier. Maybe I could have encouraged them to make slightly different decisions that, if consequences from those decisions had cascaded in just the right direction, they would still be here now. That’s silly, I know. I might as well regret that my lotto tickets hadn’t hit those jackpots. On the other hand, I had had a pretty high opinion of myself. If I was such a nice kid, why was I trying to hurt their feelings?

I regret that I learned how awful it feels to be a dick.

I regret that I didn’t request Heart’s “Alone” instead. No dedication.

Of course I have a ton I’m regretful for over the course of a lifetime of situations and relationships. But one that really broke my heart was completely innocent.

My dad went bald at age 18 and wore a toupee his whole life. He let it define him - the guy who had previously been a lifeguard stopped swimming or going out on a windy day without a hat for fear of the thing flying off. And this was no cheap toupee - he would order actual human hair from somewhere out in Hollywood and construct his own toupee every few months by knitting it onto a mesh base. Then he and my mom would take a full day gluing and installing it every few months.

I didn’t know any of this when I was a kid. My dad always just had a full head of hair.

When I was 6 or 7 years old, my folks had a big party - friends, family, coworkers. Everyone laughing and having a good time. I told my dad, “I’m gonna mess up your hair, Dad.” And he warned me not to. But I did - and the thing flew off in front of everyone there.

My dad bolted upstairs and was gone for a long time. My mom summoned me up to the master bedroom, and there I saw my completely bald dad for the first time and my 6 or 7 year old self screamed, not even recognizing him. Really traumatic for all parties.

Fast forward 30 years, my dad is on his deathbed dying of leukemia. We were exchanging last words and he says, “There’s one thing I’ve always wanted to ask you - why did you pull of my top at that party?” Just broke my heart - the guy had held this in waiting to ask me his entire adult life - and I had just been a young kid when it happened. I had absolutely no idea. Poor guy was traumatized all those years.

It is kinda unfair to hold a 6 year old accountable for a crazy thing like that over decades. Kids do dumb, irresponsible stuff all the time and the younger they are the more they do it.

Achievement Unlocked: Pedantically disagreeing with depressing story of a father’s deathbed.

Aw man, I’ve been trying to unlock that achievement for years.

Six year olds have no fucking clue why they do half the things they do. As a parent if you hold a thirty year grudge over something your six year old did… that is bad parenting.

Eh, bad conflict resolution, at least.

Yeah, clearly his dead dad was a dick. Fuck that guy!

@saracen31: I apologize for the content of this post, it was not aimed at you or your father who I’m sure was a lovely man. Sorry for your loss.

@wumpus it’s not clear he held a grudge. It’s probably got more to do with the stigma of being embarrassed, or being at the center of that kind of public spectacle. I know people who remember trivial experiences from grade school, not because the event itself was such a horrible experience, but because it touched the same kind of emotional plane. It leaves a mark.

There are lots of things I regret in life, some minor some not so much, but the ones that really stick with me are the ones where I behaved poorly towards someone else. I know I was the culprit of those sorts of emotional scars on a few people along the way during my life, and I suspect there’s more I don’t even realize. My goal in life is for those I interact with have their lives be just a little bit better for my part in it. I deeply regret when my carelessness results in the opposite effect.

There’s the usual set of “what if I’d taken the other path” sorts of things, but I don’t get too hung up about that. I’ve had a good life (so far) and have been very fortunate with the opportunities I’ve had. I’ve done a pretty good job of seizing those opportunities often enough that I don’t have deep regrets about any of it, really.

You don’t have kids, do you @stusser? So I don’t think you can understand this one. Anyway, making your kids feel guilty as adults for something they did 20+ years ago at age freakin’ six… is bad parenting. Doesn’t make you a bad person or evil or anything, but that’s absolutely an instance bad parenting.

I mean, shit, your kids are gonna be ashamed of themselves for decades because of shit their parents did to them for many other valid reasons.

I don’t think anyone is arguing otherwise, we’re just saying it’s insensitive to criticize the guy’s dead dad after such a sad story.

This is not the best thread and dad story for you to harp on about this.

No offense taken at all. He was a good guy, just a regrettable incident. No telling what your mind is thinking when it’s all flashing before your eyes. Sorry it tore him up for so long.

ya think…just maybe?

I have already told my kids how having them probably ruined my life. Just think what me and the wife could have done with all that money.

My parents continue to insist I’m the best thing they ever did with their lives and I’m just like, hey, thanks guys, but shit, like, your house is really nice and I’m basically hot garbage, so. . . ?

Yes but damn can you cook!