Most underated movies of all time

Rip Torn was the bad guy!

I always liked Marc Singer too. I remember watching him on PBS in the Taming of the Shrew and really enjoyed his performance.

Yeah I like him too, although to me he’ll always be Donovan from V above all.

Drax you figure this movie was underrated? Sure it was good and maybe a bit under the normal Hollywood cash flow – but I dunno… this movie seems around “rated” to me (I loved it , in fact, but underrated?)

Overated and underated at the same time.

(for the record – I liked it – but then again I read Edgar Rice Burroughs as a little girl traveling with my family in the car until I got car sick — multiple times … so I may not be a good judge)

“Sweetie, maybe you should just look out the window for a few hours -”

The Atlantic did a whole list!

For those too lazy to go and read the descriptions, they have two categories, Box Office Bombs (good movies that were not hits) and Critical Bombs (movies that aren’t good that they love anyway).

Box office Bombs

Archipelago (2010)
Babe: Pig in the City (1998)
Beyond the Lights (2014)
Cadillac Records (2008)
Cloud Atlas (2012)
Down with Love (2003)
Dredd (2012)
Killing Them Softly (2012)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
Premium Rush (2012)
Solaris (2002)
Sunshine (2007)
Talk to Me (2007)
What if (2013)
The Yards (2000)

Critical Bombs

Addicted to Love (1997)
Armageddon (1998)
Blackhat (2015)
The Box (2009)
Constantine (2013)
The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift (2006)
Hulk (2003)
In the Cut (2003)
Jennifer’s Body (2009)
Josie and the Pussycats (2001)
Jupiter Ascending (2015)
Non-Stop (2014)
Ocean’s Twelve (2004)
Pain & Gain (2013)

Now, I haven’t seen many in the first list, but I’ve seen many in the second list. I loved Non-Stop and Tokyo Drift, but everything else I’ve seen on that second list was either just ok (Ocean’s Twelve, Constantine) or downright terrible (Armageddon, Hulk, Pain & Gain). So I’m not sure if I want to subject myself to the rest of that list.

From the first list, I’ve only seen Sunshine and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and both were excellent, so I’m inclined to track the rest down.

I still love this movie 😋 It’s so goofy, the songs are surprisingly excellent and the gals are cute cute cute.

The Box deserved to get panned and flop.

Man, I love this movie. I know what the general opinion is but I think it’s a really interesting and human science fiction story - the kind we don’t see a lot of. I’d put it up with Arrival, personally.

Dredd is great. It’s The Raid, but with sci-fi guns and drugs.

Solaris I liked a lot. Didn’t realise it was considered a bomb, as I never thought it would make much money. “Tarkovsky remake” doesn’t exactly scream box office gold.

The Box and Jupiter Ascending are terribad.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is pure gold and everyone should see it.

That Solaris was really good. I had to like it, even though I love the novel and the themes in this movie were diametrically opposed to the themes of the novel.

I watched Jupiter Ascending. It’s not good; it’s reasonably entertaining scifi trash.

I can understand why critics panned most of the critical bombs, except for Constantine, which is awesome in every way.

I’ll submit a real underrated gem that’s not in The Atlantic’s list: Cowboys & Aliens. Cheesy goofy and better than it had any right to be. Jon Favreau got shafted on this one, but I’m glad it bombing didn’t ruin his career.

I never read the original novel, and I tried (oh lord, how I tried) to sit through Tarkovsky’s film but I just couldn’t do it. I respect a slow burn but man, that movie’s pace is absolutely glacial.

Tokyo Drift is my favorite F&F by far. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is the best thing either Val Kilmer or Robert Downey Jr. have ever done.

I don’t remember The Nice Guys—from the same director as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang—getting a lot of love (or hate for that matter), but it’s fantastic if you like at least some of the following: comedy, neo-noirs, Russel Crowe, Ryan Gosling, movies set in Los Angeles.

Here’s a great grammar lesson from Gosling:

What about Tombstone and Zodiac?

I had no idea Kiss Kiss Bang Bang did poorly. No idea why.

Jupiter Ascending is pretty, but awful. It deserved every rip it got.

Tombstone is fine, but I stand by my assessment. Haven’t seen Zodiac.

It’s because they were performed by Kay Hanely of Letters to Cleo. Some cowritten by her as well.

As well as the recently departed Adam Schlesinger.