Mount & Blade Warband : Mods

Ok, it’s time. I reinstalled Warband last week but was waiting while I tried to finish up some other games, but this, it cannot wait any longer. PoP her I come!

So, for those of you playing the new Prophecy of Pendor 3.6 - Do you have the minor factions raid cities? I know a lot of people on the official forums talk about them doing it, but in my 240 days game, so far not a single city (That I’ve noticed) has been raided by a minor faction yet.

Also, without saying too much - has anyone gotten any of the books from spoils after a battle?

Started up Pendor 3.6 last night and it’s great being back. I lost about an hour of progress when the power went out and I realized I had forgotten to save, ugh. Love being back into M&B though, such a great game. I’ll keep an eye out for minor faction raids and let you know if I see any. My char started out with a book on engineering, but I’ve only fought a few starting skirmishes so I doubt I’d see anything good yet.

I tried Brytenwalda and got incredibly frustrated right away. Something about falling over all the time, maybe? Who the hell put random falls into the game? So weird.

Anyways, I jumped straight back into PoP and I have to say I feel this is still the premiere mod for the game, except it would be nice if they brought over a couple of the features from Floris (which I believe in turn came from other mods).

In Camp/Mod options you can deselct various things - I usually disable wounds, resting morale impact, falling oveer, and heavy armor impact on abilities.

The falling isn’t random though - it ties into how you move, what direction and your skills.

PoP though, is wonderful! I can recommend peasant women for what they turn into, as a small hint.

Thanks! Of course ,the moment I tried tonight, Pointbruk got wasted twice by the Mystmountain warriors :-D

Man, I forgot how brutal PoP can be when starting out. I started three different characters last night in different provinces to reacquaint myself with the game and decide where I want to really dig in. Jatu raiders, roaming knights, adventurers, cultist bands, if you’re not really careful or save scumming the start you’ll spend a lot of time as a prisoner. I resort to the latter option most of the time. There seems to be a distinct lack of low power enemies in most areas for you to start grinding exp and gear on.

In my sarleon start I finally found this little forest area that seems to sprout 7-10 man outlaw bands like crazy. I can’t catch most of them, but enough that I’m finally starting to get some third tier troops. I was lucky enough to step into some really big lord on lord battles to both get some faction boosts and a few pieces of nice gear.

I only have one companion so far since it seems the mod makers really boosted the costs of most of them. A couple knights I found were 8k to hire and the lowest I’ve found so far was free, but she’s a trader and not helpful in combat. The trackers and fighters I’ve found were all 3k+ to hire. Do love being back in Pendor though, the rough start will just make it all that much sweeter when my knights start breaking the backs of my opponents while my archers darken the skies with a rain of death!

There is a hilled forest north of Marleons where it always crawls with bandits. Be aware that they sometimes have a knight or two with them though, so be careful. And yeah, the start is rough. There are some companions that costs 150 dollars or 300 dollars, but I take it you havent found those yet :-) Oh, if you have trouble finding some companions, remember to check upstairs in the tavern. Sometimes, if the common room is full, the game puts them up there.

As for catching bandits - Pathfinding is your best friend in the game…ever - That and training and Leadership should be of high import to you - At least, they are how I play the game.

That leads me to, that its amazing how different people play this game. I play a leader that also charges with lance and sword and shield from horseback but I understand many play archers as well?

One knight or leader type in a group I can handle, my guys will swarm him and we’ll take him down. It’s the groups with 3+ knight types that really just destroy you in the early game. I’m also typically a leader type character and at the head of my groups charge too. I’m a lance/1-hander and shield guy with a throwing weapon on me if I need to do a little range. I’ve done a horse archer type before and it can be a lot of fun, especially once you’re troops are on faster horses and you can run circles around the heavy knights just picking them off.

Up to 92 hours now. Damn you all to hell.

I’m finding Pendor to be significantly more difficult than the base game. I’m barely into it and facing foes who are much more well armed, and armored, than I am.

Or maybe I’m just sucky. :D

Nope, it ain’t you!

I’ve finally started getting a foothold in Pendor. I’m currently acting under mercenary contract to the King of Sarleon. Which while not filing the coffers does pay my weekly troop salary plus a little extra. After joining in on a couple campaigns and helping capture a fort from Ravenstern I managed to build up a nice nest egg and hired some of the beefier companions. It does seem much harder to get any sort of mounted troops. My Sarleon recruits don’t seem to survive long enough to get up to halberdier most of the time. I still haven’t seen knight as an upgrade option that I know of. Though hiring the female peasants I save from various marauding bands has lead to a nice contingent of Maiden cavalry. I’m trying to take it a bit easier and build up a solid core before jumping back into any big battles.

All of the various factions now have their uber-stack armies roaming the land. The Jatu raiders, the wolf lord, noldor, the snake and daemon cults and even a peasant revolution (1200+ troops!). Having a blast being back in Pendor.

Knights are only possible to get (more or less) if you get noblemen and that is only a a lord of that faction you get those. You can of course get them as prisoners.

Be aware that in the latest updates you can now talk to the knights in the castles, and join that order!! This will get you access to not only the knighthoods gear, but also a large number of quests for them. You may, besides creating your own knighthood now, you may join any ONE Knighthood, so choose wisely! I don’t want to tell you too much about it since thats spoiler territory :-)

Ahhh that makes sense, thanks Razgon. I’ll have to check into the orders, I already know the Knights of Eventide hate my guts lol.

Diplomacy is my favorite mod, expands basic game while keeping it still recognizable.

So which mods are fun but don’t increase the difficulty?

Yes to minor factions raiding cities. I’ve played about 230 days now and what I’ve seen is:

Wulfbode the Slayer raid and sack Poinsbruk, twice
Dread Legion (Serpent Cult) raid and sack Cez

I’ve always been too far away to get involved, but I’ve turned on Control + T in order to see what is going on at the map level.

I’ve never gained a book from looting. I didn’t know such a thing were possible.

Well, Floris doesn’t increase difficulty, but honestly - I’d give Brytenwalda or Pendor a try even if they are a tad difficult in the beginning. It’s very much worth it.

Thanks - The moment I’d written the above they began to sack cities and I’ve helped repel Wulfbode a few times, and a heretic army.

In my current game, I ran about 100 days as a mercenary, and about 150 days as lord of Ravenstern just to get more reknown so that I could have over 200 men in my retinue and gather experience and skills for my companions. Then, after the snake cult sacked Cez, I cowardly ran over and killed the 60 man big garrison and took the city for myself, declaring myself King of Pendor, the Old Empire. Needless to say, the empire wasn’t too happy,but being involved in a war with but Dshar and Sarleon made the Empire VERY eager to make peace with me - especially since I have 2 snake cult armies of around 800 people running around Cez all the time.

This has given me time to build up my own Knighthood, The Knights of the Blazing Sun, which are pittiably weak, using leather armor and a sword and rides a draft horse, but they are MINE! Lethraldien trains them, and they are coming along quite nicely.

My biggest problem right now is money, since I have around 40.000 Dinaries, but upgarding your own knights is VERY, very expensive. I know the patch which is about to hit deals with this, though, cutting costs by a third.

Lykurgos - The books are a new thing, so far I’ve only found one.

Also, try joining a knighthood - there’s some VERY nice surprises along the way for that quest line.