Movie Quiz

Name three directors who remade their own movies. For the purposes of this discussion, Evil Dead II does not count as a remake of Evil Dead.

Haneke is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. But let me think a bit.

Are you counting foreign language movies remade in English by the same director? If so, add Takashi Shimizu to the list. I’d say ‘twice!’, but Grudge 2 doesn’t have anything to do with Ju-On 2. Toss Roger Vadem on there, too.

Oh, and Leo McCarey.

Hooray me?

Edit: I think Hitchcock did it at least once, too.

Edit 2: He redid An Affair to Remember as Love Affair. Someone else came along later and redid 'em both. Again. Also, ha ha, edits.

I would accept foreign films remade by the same director. If you want to make it more difficult, keep it to just English language movies.

Bahirimon: it’s Vadim, and good one!

Edit: Hitchcock is indeed correct - he remade The Man Who Knew Too Much

Here’s one to test and see if movie club fans were paying attention.

In Tom Chick’s favorite big budget bomb ‘Sorcerer’, what’s the name of the other car?

What movie did McCarey do twice?

But we keep getting more and more of these, man.

And you guys need to stop re-editing your posts. It’s making it very hard to follow along.

The ones that jumped immediately to my mind were Hitchcock and Haneke (Funny Games), plus two others that haven’t been mentioned yet.

I forgot his name, but the Dutch director who did The Vanishing both in Dutchland and America. Suzer?

Does Takashi Shimizu count?

El Mariachi and Desperado! So, I’ll go with Rodriquez.

Then there are also guys who made shorts first that later became full features, like Carpenter with Dark Star, Lucas with THX-1138, and Wes Anderson with Bottle Rocket.

I don’t count the shorts-expanded-to-features, and I put El Maraichi / Desperado in the same category as Evil Dead / Evil Dead II (i.e., not real remakes).

George Sluzier was one of the guys I was thinking of - he remade his brilliant Spoorloos as The Vanishing, fucking it up in the process.

The last one? Cecil B. DeMille, The Ten Commandments.

Absolutely do not google: Who is Taxi Driver dedicated to?

I want to say Michael Powell but that might be a later one.

Bernard Hermann?

Had a feeling that was going to go fast

It was Hermann’s last movie score, and movies are often dedicated to a cast or crew that died during the making of it, so it was a simple elimination process. Good question, though.

Here’s my last one for the day: What movie lays claim to the having the first commentary track recorded for it? Again, googling is cheating.

I love Claude Rains, but wrong, he did not play the character of Harvey.

Last one?

Ole Bornedal remade Nattevagten as Nightwatch.

Jean-Marie Poiré did Les Visiteurs as Just Visiting.

The Martin Short/Nick Nolte comedy Three Fugitives by Francis Veber was originally Les Fugitifs.

And another dutchman Dick Maas made his man-eating elevator movie De Lift twice (English version: The Shaft).

(I had to Google the frencmens names - also I’m sure some of the asian directors redid movies in Usmerican, but I’m not knowledgeable about Asian cinema)

Name me three Swedish actors that are doing well in America (ie known outside their home turf). For bonus you can add a director.

(For being totally impressive you can name two of the three Bond villains/sidekicks played by Danes)