Movie theater subscriptions - You stream to the movies

MoviePass isn’t giving up yet.

Pricing based on zip code, and none of that unlimited stuff.

I’m not entirely sure why they’re still trying, with theatre chains offering their own plans. (Like AMC A-List.) I don’t see MoviePass getting a significant market share over those offerings, at least not in a way that can make money.

Regal still doesn’t offer anything. Luckily Sinemia fills in the void, for now.

Yeah, we just do the Marcus theater Tuesday night movies. They are $5 and include a small popcorn. We would be hard pressed to see more than one movie a week and we don’t always make that, so spending $20 for a monthly pass doesn’t really make sense for us.

I will say that this Marcus offer has gotten us to the theater a lot more. I think before we started doing this we might have averaged a movie every three months.

Each plan offers three movies each month, and is targeted at the “casual movie goer,” according to the press release.

Are you really just a casual movie goer if your ass is in a theater seat three times a month?

I dunno, that just seems like a lot to me. I’m cranky, lazy, and I hate crowds… so this probably sways my opinion.

At this point I value quality of experience a lot more than cheapness of experience. I can watch movies at home for next to free, so a theater needs to give me a much better experience to be worth the hassle. The Alamo Drafthouse does, the other local theaters (who are more likely to support this kind of subscription), not so much.

MoviePass still has the added hassle factor to it.

I just went to three movies in 8 days. I don’t consider myself casual and that’s probably the most I see in a short period of time at about the same time each year.

MoviePass had people on the unlimited seeing multiple movies a day because they have the time and that’s what they chose to do with their time. It’s kind of like a buffet, the kind that post they have a right to cut someone off… there’s always someone that will go to huge excess.

Even before their money woes, the way MoviePass was described to me by those who use it just seemed to add a hassle and inconvenient factor to something that is usually a more pleasant experience.

I like to think I experienced the golden age of MoviePass before it nosedived. That middle period where the only requirement was checking the movie in before buying the ticket, before they updated their app.

For I think a solid year I saw like…all the movies. The biggest thing I noticed is just how empty movie theaters are during the day. So many times I was the only idiot in there.

In my area, AMC A List allows 3 movies in any format per week with other benefits for $19.95 Movie Pass is 3 per month for $25, no other benefits. I can see 4 times the movies and reserve my seats in advance with AMC. Unless there are no decent AMC theatres near you, Movie Pass is a crap deal. And it’s not a very good deal, no matter what, unless you plan on seeing 3 movies each and every month, all in prime time.

I’m still relatively happy with Sinemia ($15/mo, three movies including one IMAX/Dolby Cinema), especially now that they brought back the physical card. Sounds like MoviePass is heading in that direction, so I guess it’s a viable business model.

I pay 8.99 a month for one movie a month, and 8.99 is actually higher than the ticket prices here for nights outside of Friday and Saturday. Why do I pay it then, because in order to reserve seats in advance they charge a 1.50 per seat, per… seat, and the monthly fee eliminates that. I also get 20% of concessions which I do enjoy but the other it is Ticketmaster kind of crap.

I don’t know why anyone would give MoviePass any money at this point. They helped changed the idea of going to the movies, but as they are now, i doubt they’ll be around long to see it all shift.

I am 300% on board.

At that time, Season Pass holders could see a movie as many times as they wanted and could order tickets to standard-format 2D or 3D movies but not any special Drafthouse screenings with a higher ticket price.

Wow this includes 3D too? That’s impressive. I usually don’t care for those, but they’re often excluded.

Just for reference, I’ve been eyeing my local theater chain’s pass option (AMC A-List, pretty sure AMC is a pretty large brand anyways), and it includes it too.

Our biggest and best experiences are included. A-List lets you choose Dolby Cinema, IMAX, RealD 3D, PRIME, BigD® or digital

I know I want to get that BigD. Oh boy yes.

I mean, our location never offers the 3D versions, so I am not sure how often it would even come up.

I feel completely ripped off.

My 8.99 with Cinemark gives me 1 2D ticket a month. About 60% of the time… our tickets don’t even cost 8.99. So why do I do it, because it costs a freaking 1.50 to reserve a seat online in addition to the ticket cost if I don’t.

I wish AMC would offer a fewer movies/month deal like yours, even though that sounds like a really bad deal in particular. Mine is great if you go a lot, $22/mo for 3 movies/week, no restrictions. It also gives you the free online reservations perk, which definitely makes a difference.

But… I don’t go to movies all that much, so it would be nice if I could get something a little cheaper that’s a little more restrictive. :D

You also get a 20% discount on concessions and unlimited additional tickets at $8.99 each.

For somebody who goes to movies with friends and buys popcorn, it is a good deal.

If you tend to go Friday and Saturday nights you can get past 9.00. Cinemark doesn’t seem to shift their price regionally, and our tickets are just really low compared to other places.

The nice thing is, for the 8.99, is the ticket rolls and doesn’t expire. I never feel like I HAVE to go even while I pay the sub.