Movies about Starting/Being in a Band

Hey, Qt3ers, help a fellow out! I’m gathering research on stories about being in a band. Not huge bands like the story of Fleetwood Mac or something, but small bands just getting started. Specifically, I’m most interested in the kind of drama that plays out between the members.

A favorite is The Commitments, so I’m very familiar with that. And I watched Sing Street not too long ago, too.

I have put The Runaways on my list to watch.

Any other movies come to mind? Or, I guess, any TV shows, if there are any.

Almost Famous, unless you mean real bands

Hmm hard to top the Commitments.

It’s not a movie, but Freaks and Geeks has a nice subplot about a high school band.

We_Are_the_Best!

Rob kinda stole my thunder, but We Are the Best! is a great little film about putting a band together just to prove a point.

The newish Foo Fighters documentary is also an excellent examination of band dynamics.

That ultra-long Eagles doc is pretty great as well.

Believe it or not, the doc on Twisted Sister is fantastic as well. Shocking to learn how long they were successful before they became mainstream stars.

Sing Street was the first one that came to my mind. Along the same lines, Once somewhat fits your description although not really. I mention it because it’s such a lovely movie that everyone should watch again.

Couple kids oriented ones -

What about this near-forgotten movie, Backbeat?

The film the acronym YMMV was invented for.

I regret that I only saw this movie for the first time two months ago.

DEWEY COX: I don't need people around me, stifling me. So if you don't like it, there's the door.

THEO: Dewey, are you sayin' you don't need us no more?

DEWEY COX: Not unless you can open your minds... and LEARN TO PLAY THE FUCKING THEREMIN!

Edit: oh, and for a similar, more band-oriented but less funny version of the same story, there’s POPSTAR: Never Stop Never Stopping.

Also, I have a soft spot in my heart for the secret subversion of the Josie and the Pussycats movie.

And Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World!

“The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once and say it loud, I’m black and I’m proud.”

I have never seen it, but I know Alex Proyas (of The Crow, Dark City, and I Robot fame) made a band movie called Garage Days.

Rock Star, with Mark Wahlberg and Dominic West and Jennifer Aniston, is pretty hilariously bad.

Spinal Tap is pretty hilarious and not at all bad. Also A Mighty Wind.

That it took until post 14 to get to Spinal Tap means this thread is a failure.

Great suggestions, guys! If you can think of more, keep 'em coming!

BTW, I watched The Runaways last night (about the band with Joan Jett, Lita Ford, et al.) and it was quite good. A fairly impressionistic and stylized telling of its story. Kristen Stewart was so-so (certainly had the look, but couldn’t really do the voice) but Dakota Fanning was good. Michael Shannon was just… weird? Not necessarily in that good weird Michael Shannon way?

No mention of The Blues Brothers makes it an even bigger failure.

One of my favorites: teenage Diane Lane and Laura Dern form a punk band.