Movies about Starting/Being in a Band

I’ll second We Are the Best! One of my favorite band movies.

No one has listed Straight Outta Compton?

SoC was quite good, recommended.

Sid and Nancy? The Doors?

24 Hour Party People is the best movie about starting/wrecking a record label.

Also their Ian Curtis was better than the one in Control. Come at me.

Yes, 24hPP was also great. Because this forum does not have likes I have to post this bullshit rather than liking your post to indicate, yes, I concur, that is also an amazing band (music?) movie worth seeing.

Documentary, but a very good one about Metallica.

Now this…this looks horrible:

Oh, that’s a Frank Cottrell Boyce script. I need to check it out.

This show really hit home for me. I knew a lot of guys in HS who thought they were going to be famous rock musicians and didn’t really have a back up plan. I kinda wonder what those guys are doing today.

Honestly, though, if you want to get a slice of life of bands in progress, watch any of Nardwuar’s interviews. Dear god they’re like watching a car crash in motion: horrifying and beautiful and hypnotizing. This one is the absolute classic:

OP: “I’d like movies about forming/creating a band. Not a major famous band though.”

Suggestions that follow: The Beatles, The Doors, NWA, Nirvana.

:D

One that’s better than it has any right to be: Bandslam

One that’s better than any other movie in this thread, including The Commitments, which is one of my favorites: Grace of my Heart

Also OP:

Many of those documentaries about famous bands spend at least part of the time focusing on when those bands were nascent, and particularly on the kind of drama that plays out between the members during that period.

It’s over 10, what’s the problem?

Thread needs more Bandslam.

To paraphrase @triggercut - it looks like a movie that some exec thought needed to cash in on the Highschool Musical wave. But it’s actually a well-written movie that I think the execs weren’t quite sure what to make of. Has a great soundtrack, too. It’s both about forming a band and negotiating the social pitfalls of highschool, as a bonus.

I’ve been wracking my brain for the name of this since yesterday. Finally found it. The “cool” band had a song they played every time, and I couldn’t remember it. I remembered today; “I Shot the Sheriff”. Keywords: “High School” “Band” “I Shot the Sheriff”

Yeaaaaah. Let’s talk about that BandSlam Soundtrack.

I have absolutely no idea on earth who the music supervisor was on this movie, but this is still one of the most amazing “Holy SHIT!!!” moments in all of movies and music for me in the last 20 years:

I mean…that’s like finding out that NSync does a version of “Sister Ray”, or One Direction has a cover of “Search and Destroy.”

(The original of “Amphetamine”, by Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3, which is his rant about playing loud music until the day he dies is here, along with the greatest rock guitar player on the planet, Jason Victor:)

I mean it’s great and all but solo acoustic covers of Swedish punk songs!

And the trailer for those that don’t know about the film