Movies Anywhere - Streaming

Supposedly vudu can be sideloaded on firetv. Not that you need it with movies anywhere.

Movies Anywhere at least is at least a simpler and more obvious name to the average consumer than Ultraviolet.

Connecting to the other services was easy. But connecting to Vudu presents me with a green spinning circle and a message that says “Updating Vudu Account”. When I tried doing it the other day, I finally quit after that circle kept spinning for 5 minutes. Today I decided to try it again. I figure I’ll try it for a couple of hours this morning. Maybe there’s nothing wrong. Maybe it just needs some time to finish processing.

When I did it, the linking failed for Vudu and Amazon multiple times. I kept trying and finally it worked. They’ve been overloaded for a bit as people finally realize what this is and why it’s worth getting an account.

Yeah. I am not a huge fan of side-loading on apps that are designed to be simple. I did it with my older Amazon tablet for awhile before I abandoned for a device that would just let me get to Google Store. I found updating sideloaded apps to be a PIA.

I forgot I even had this app on my phone, since I never used it. But it gave me a notification that Duel is on sale for $4, and that it’s eligible for Screen Pass. (I must have put it on my wishlist before buying the Blu-ray, and forgot to remove it).

I have no idea what Screen Pass is, so I clicked on it, and it sounds pretty nifty. So if I buy Duel on Movies Anywhere, I can lend it to people I know via Screen Pass, by giving them a code that lets them view the movie for a limited time. What a cool idea. I can do that with the Blu-ray I bought, so it’s about time that I should be able to do that with digital purchases too.

Screen Pass was made kind of… lame because it’s severely limited on the titles, or at least it was when I looked at it, aka like none of the Disney owned movies are in there.

That’s the case with basically any equivalent program I’ve run into. In the digital space, rights-holders have supreme control, and they will mostly just refuse to participate in any lending etc.

I’m a huge fan of MVA, but Paramount and a few others are not on there for that reason. Season Pass seemed even weirder because MVA was pushed by Disney!

Any movie that is part of MVA, has that little symbol, is more likely to get me to buy it. I still buy movies, all the time and MVA makes is so much easier to watch them.