Movies of Fall 2012

Screen Rant put up their huge 4 month Fall movie list , with youtube links.

http://screenrant.com/2012-fall-movies-preview-release-dates-trailers/1/

I am picking one per month that I plan on seeing, some months I might see 2 or 3 movies, but I picked ones I will be seeing on day 1.

Sept: The Master
Oct: Cloud Atlas / Taken 2 (tie - I want to see both equally).
Nov: Lincoln
Dec: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I’m hoping for greatness from Looper, Skyfall, and Life Of Pi, but I reserve the right to be disappointed. I’m looking forward to your picks too, except Taken 2. Will Taken 1 be a prerequisite to enjoy Taken 2?

Considering the events of Taken 2 are retribution for Taken 1, it would make sense to see it first.

Raiders on IMAX? Might have to go see that. One of my favorite movies of all time.

For September, I want to see lots of those movies, but I’ll probably only go see Looper in the theater.

October, again, lots I want to see, but only Taken 2 and Cloud Atlas will get my overpriced ticket dollars.

November, Skyfall and Rise of the Guardians.

December, The Hobbit.

Sept: Resident Evil: Retribution, Dredd 3D, Looper
Oct: Paranormal Activity 4, Cloud Atlas, Silent Hill: Revelation
Nov: Flight, Red Dawn, The Frozen Ground
Dec: The Hobbit, Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained

Those are the three per month I have my eye on. The only givens will be RE: R, PA4 and Tarantino’s movie, the rest are depending on advanced word.

Not really. From what I can tell, it’s exactly the same movie. I’d be surprised if you couldn’t watch them in any order you like. It’s not like you’re giong to end up all confused about some plot point.

Want to know the plot? They fuck with his family, he kills them all.

Honestly, I have no idea why you’d want to see Taken 2 without watching the first. Would you want to watch Empire Strikes Back without having first watched Star Wars?

Hmm a better example would be like watching Return of the Jedi before seeing the Empire Strikes back. I always felt that A New Hope was a movie that had good closure other than the bit with Vader surviving at the end.

:p

Djscman, go rent Taken 1 , like now! Do it!

Dan, Star Wars is terrible analogy.

The Taken movies seem like a pretty simple concept built around revenge and a bad ass ex-special forces guy who loves his family. Star Wars is an epic, space opera thingy, with occasional cliff hanger endings and stuff.

I mean, I suppose I could be wrong, but I dont’ think so. If you watch the trailer for Taken 2, you’ve pretty much seen the original. What would you miss?

Don’t get me wrong, djscman, there’s nothing wrong with Taken. But if the sequel rolls around and you still haven’t seen the original, don’t let that stop you. I promise you won’t be confused.

I was not comparing any of the Star Wars trilogy to Taken, ffs. I was using it as a comparison of dynamics. Sheesh, guys!! :)

My point was that people generally don’t care about characters until watching what they go through. Why would you want to watch a continuation of something that never started in the first place from your own perspective?

I’m interested in these as well:

Lawless: Nick Cave and a promising cast.
Killing them softly: From Andrew Dominik (Chopper and Assassination of Jesse James…)

Because it’s a good concept? A lot of actiony movie series do this sort of thing-- Death Wish, Rocky, Die Hard. The sequel is the exact same sort of movie as the first, with a few of the details changed around, and maybe some different bad guys.

I mean, I don’t feel compelled to watch every James Bond movie in the series just because a new one comes out.

As for character development, I seriously doubt Liam Neeson’s character is going to be in a much different space for this movie, than he was for the first. Certainly you’re not going to have to know any of his life details from the first movie to get what’s going on. He’s going on vacation with his family and some dirty foreign’rs are going to fuck with him.

I mean, I haven’t seen it, so I could be wrong, but I don’t think so.

But the story in James Bond is generally not a continuation of the first. Taken 2 is a direct continuation. Perhaps it’s not a deep, sophisticated story, but then if it isn’t good enough to warrant watching in the first place I have ZERO understanding why you would want to watch the sequel. Why are you wanting to, and why is it that you advised someone not watch the first one when you haven’t seen it?

edit - I think I misread, and you’re saying you haven’t seen the sequel.

Other than The Hobbit, that list looks like a lot of “maybe when it’s free at the library or $1 at Redbox”.

Taken is a badass concept Dan. I’ve seen the first and I’m giong to see the new one. You could be right that you have to see them in order to get the most out of it, but I really don’t think so.

I’m pretty excited for Lawless, too. And it’s right around the corner.