Moving cats (not herding them.)

Got both cats in the back seat in nice plush carriers that they’ve been using as beds for the last few weeks. They’ve got cat downers in them and seem to be just sleeping and chilling. 5 hours down only about 11 hours to go.

Sounds good to far.

Good luck!

Next post from Jeff’s cats. 14 hours down and 2 to go. We have taken the car and put the humans in the carriers. Do not try to find us. It’s better this way.

Fantastic.

Hour 6, I spoke too soon. Cats hijacked my car and we’re headed for the New Mexico desert. I think they plan to bury me out there. They keep punching me in the gibblets to keep me down and miserable… something about payback. I’ve tried to reason with them, but they flash dirty looks with requisite hissing. Please help! Tell the FBI to use location tracking on my cellph… … …

This be Jeff we on other side of St Louis where catnip is legal for recreational use!

Funny aside; one time I moved with my cats, and when I stopped at a drive-through, one of them decided to hop up and visit the nice person working for Taco Bell. I’m sure that probably broke a million health code violations and I felt terrible, but the cashier took it in good stride and passed him back with kindness.

We had a very good trip. We purchased two very nice softside carriers that are large and comfy, and let them learn to sleep in them on their own in the month before the move (when they saw the hardside carrier they knew that meant vet and they ran and hid.) No problem at all putting them in these. We gave them the med the doc gave us to chill them out, put them in the back seat where the doors were facing and they could see each other, and they just basically laid back and chilled and slept for almost the entire 18 hours. No poop or pee or throw up in the carriers, and they immediately headed to the litter box I already had set up at the destination. The one is exploring the new place, the other is trying to stay hidden (which he does at any change or visitors anyway.)

Congrats on the successful move!

Cats make everything about moving so much more stressful.

Sounds you’re our official Cat Whisperer now. I can’t get my cat through a vet trip without him sounding like his legs are being torn off… the entire time.

I assume the meds were gabapentin? That stuff in liquid form is la la land for cats.

Yeah, I believe it was gabapentin. We also sprayed their carriers with Feliway calming spray. I think it helped that we got some very nice carriers:

and put them out to explore and then nap in about a month before the move. So they liked their carriers and it felt comfortable for them. I’ve got a lot of scratches on my arms from trying to get the cats into their old hardshell carrier to go the vet. As soon as that carrier was in sight, both cats would go hide (and cats really know how to hide well.)

Oh indeed they do. We are dosing our tom with Clavimox twice a day right now, and that boy is amazing at getting into places I would never look.

That product is currently unavailable per your link. Looks great though.

Hmmm. It was highly recommended on cat forums. They are REALLY nice. Nice size too (our cats are old, big, and fat!) Wonder if they have a new version.

They might just have a supply problem. It’s not available on their direct site either except the pink one with lace. I’m not sure I can pull the trigger on a pink one with lace. Pink maybe, but with lace…

New version of cat or carrier?