Moving to Bath

I’m going to move to the fine city of Bath in the next three weeks to take up a job at Edge magazine. I was only there for a few hours before my interview, and spent most of that time in a state of panic, so my practical knowledge of the place is pretty limited.

Would any of the UK Qt3 contingent familiar with the place (Gillen?) care to throw a few fun facts my way?

Is it possible to live really cheaply and within easy walking distance of the centre of town? Which bits should I avoid? Where do the students live? Where are the good pubs?

I have no practical information aside from “go eat pies at The Raven” but Bath sure is nice. I love it there. Gary can probably help out with pub suggestions.

Avoid the rugby team, for watching them now is akin to peeling your eyelids off.

Plus, they’ll bugger you senseless. Still, it’ll teach you a thing or two about life >.<

No useful Bath info, but congrats on the job, i like the Edge mag.

Cheap’s not easy. The middle of town’s mostly fairly safe, although the local rag loves to pretend otherwise. In practice, avoid the loud groups and you should be fine. Rates aren’t cheap - unless you can organise a flat share or similar, you’ll likely be paying through the nose or getting used to long walks.

Is it possible to live really cheaply and within easy walking distance of the centre of town? Which bits should I avoid? Where do the students live? Where are the good pubs?

Don’t know Bath that well but I know a few people that do and can do a bit of digging for you (I’m in Bristol). Compared to Cardiff I doubt anywhere that could be considered “nice” in Bath is going to be cheap. a 1 bed studio flat walking distance to the city centre in Bristol will set you back at least £4-500 a month and I’d be surprised if Bath was any cheaper

Cheers all. Pie-related knowledge is especially welcome. Looks like I’m going to have to tighten my budget - my rent and bills comes to £260 p.m. here in Cardiff. Urk.

Hah. It can only be a step up from watching Wales play. Bloody Italians robbed us!

Pick up a copy of Venue if you’re floating around this neck of the woods again (or if you want, I’ll post you a copy) it’s the local ‘what’s on’ listings for Bath.

If you can cope with the idea of sharing with a bunch of people you’ve never met before then Google might be worth a look, I’ve used them before and had some reasonable responses to posting an ad/replying to ones listed there. Otherwise you’ll be hard pushed to find a place for that sort of money, Bath’s certainly on a Par with Bristol for property prices as far as I can see.

[edit] This is what you get for asking someone who’s only been in bath for 18months, but for what it’s worth…

I’ve had a look at a few agencies around bath (joys of having just moved house) and it does look like the “not rough” areas are around that price mark for a one bedroom/studio flat.

As for pies, anywhere selling Pieminister pies is worth a look.

Tremendous blokes.

No advice here, but congrats on the job. Edge is the only gaming mag I still read.

Love Edge, despite getting nailed for the import costs. Congrats!

Congrats :)

Where do you bathe in Bath? In your bath or at the Bath? If i bathe in Bath’s Bath should i bathe in my bathroom later?