Moving to NJ, USA (maybe)

This might belong in P&R. I always sort of knew that health service was not free but never gave it much thought. How does health care work exactly? How much should I expect to pay an insurer for a family of 4. What happens when you retire and maybe need constant medication. This is some scary stuff.

Your employer should provide an insurance plan, unless you’re freelancing or something. When you retire we have medicare for free healthcare, with graduated payments starting at like $150/month for the lowest income people.

I grew up in central PA, the food sucked. Still does. They put sugar in everything, you get macaroni salad alongside a turkey sandwich and it’s sweet like candy. Nasty stuff.

Don’t be dissing PA macaroni salad!

Its usually made with sweet relish. :P

PA macaroni salad is a hit with parties, BBQs, adults, kids, and endocrinologists who treat the epidemic of diabetes from putting sugar in everything.

Your employer will likely give you 3-4 options to choose from.

Cost will vary depending on the level of coverage you want and can range from “wow this is cheap but only useful if I’m deathly ill” to “Since I’m paying $3k a month I guess I might as well book my free physical therapy sessions.”

After a lot of research we decided on Bergen county. Looks like they have the best education system around NJ, the flip side being it’s bloody expensive to live there.

In the mean time, I eventually got an offer of 135K. How would that work for a family of 4 around there?

I think that will be fine for a suburban life as long as you’re not planning on sending your kids to private school.

You’ll probably want to spend less than $2.5k/month on housing to be comfortable - just remember that your take home pay will about 2/3rds of that amount after you account for various taxes.