Moving to Portland

That reminds me, so yesterday things changed. Obviously I am not in Pittsburgh. Sadly I won’t be able to have that beer with you @Fishbreath

Yesterday I got news it’s looking like Portland is the destination.

I’ll probably head out early for a few weeks starting… next week. I might even be leaving tomorrow… probably not but maybe? Anyhow by mid week next week almost for sure.

So anyone in Portland? I know @Nesrie lives in Oregon, but on the other side of the Cascades. To be more specific Beaverton, OR (yes, my client is probably the one you’re thinking). So who lives out there, and would you be up for a meetup? If nothing else get one of the famous craft brews, and maybe point me towards some of the more affordable housing areas.

Hey awesome! Portland is my second favorite city in the Pacific NW! Anyway, welcome to the woods. Hope you like rain.

Yes it’s not 100% yet, but it is pretty damn likely.

I also liked Portland for the brief visit I had there.

Which is to say the stretch of highway on the way from Mt Hood

I think @Brooski is in Portland, maybe you guys can set up a board/wargame group. That would make me jealous.

Hey @CraigM, I’m here in Portland, and besides it being full of freakin’ libruls, the city is great! If you need any help with arrangements for moving, such as scouting the area, etc. I’d be glad to help. Drop me a DM/PM/whatever and I can send you my phone number. I live right in the city.

Same side of the Cascades just very, very south from Portland. I think Portland is going to be hot very soon, like 90 to them is usually a lot hotter than it is here.

So you’re moving to Portland then?

More’s the pity! Sounds like even Portland’s not a certainty. I hope everything settles down for you soon.

I live outside of Portland, near the small town of North Plains. When I first moved here, I had a job with Nike (probably your client), and I had rule that I had to be no more than 30 min from work.

Any questions you have, II’d be happy to help as I’ve lived here since '89. You might want to start a new thread though ;-)

If your workplace is within walking distance of the MAX Blue Line light rail (I believe most of Intel’s stuff is but I’m not sure about Nike), then you might look into living close that. Last time I checked it’s as cheap as anywhere else.

I’m here as well, in Beaverton. Also I’m one of those freakin’ libruls so I fit in pretty well here.

Give a shout if you need anything.

Eh, barely. It’s about two miles. Which is easy enough, but would be a significant time push on commutes.

However if they allow bicycles then it’s easy.

@Brooski @Tman @Exodor Thanks, I’m sure I’ll ask questions later. Tman it seems your current location might be among the… more affordable? My company does have resources to help with relocation, though I have no idea if it (like on other things) can also mean better prices. So until I hear back from them making concrete plans is tricky. And I think I’d fit in well too, Exodor. In fact I probably rank left of Portland generally.

As I have two small, read not yet grade school, children, any particular notes I should have? Portland seems pretty bike friendly as well, which is nice.

Bruce I’d love to get a game of Twilight Struggle in person when you have a chance :)

I’ll probably know more in the morning. This is exciting and annoying, but the reality is I’ve been getting paid since December to effectively sit at home. So I got nothing to complain about. In fact I might be more anxious to get out there than they are.

I’m not in Portland now, but I lived there during my high school years and my brother is still in the Tigard area. Going to be visiting for his wedding in October, and I usually get out there every couple of years.

You’d have a hard time finding a place/vehicle in Portland that isn’t bicycle friendly.

I saw your Eclipse photos!

If I am out there, which seems fairly likely, let me know when. Tigard is close to Beaverton, so if I’ve got a place by then you’re more than welcome over for some beer and board games.

Aw man, is that sushi boat place still in Tigard? I loved that place, watch the little boats float by and pick up the little sushi plates you wanted to eat. I need to get back to Portland one of these days.

I know two people who worked in Portland but lived in Vancouver (they don’t anymore). Is that still a viable option up there. A third is still there now, but she doesn’t commute, works virtual so her experience is not that handy.

I’m not a biker but Portland is VERY bike friendly - lots of bike lanes, some dedicated bike paths and some intersections have been re-designed to make them safer for bikers.

My “little one” is about to turn 13 but when she was younger we spent a lot of time at the Zoo, the Children’s Museum and OMSI. The Zoo and CM are both easily MAX accessible (in fact I’d recommend taking the train over trying to park in the tiny parking lot).

Lots of people do that but it requires a lot of tolerance for sitting in traffic.

I did hear that bridge got awful, but that’s coming from people who thinking a 28 minute commute, to go 26 miles, it too long. I don’t take their opinions about traffic as… much.

Google Maps says a typical drive from NIke to Vancouver at 5 PM takes (24 miles) takes anywhere from one to two hours

No thanks.

Yeah, I know a few folks who did the Vancouver/Portland commute thing. And theoretically, it sounds brilliant - no sales tax in Oregon and no income tax in Washington, you can’t lose! But man, that is some bitch traffic, you probably pay it all back in gasoline and auto maintenance.