Moving to Portland

They do allow black people in the city now, they’re just extremely rare. Even the homeless are all white.

That’s another point actually, Portland has a huge problem with homelessness. They are everywhere and very aggressive. It’s surprising that such a liberal city hasn’t invested in homeless services. It’s much, much worse than NYC.

Portland is an odd liberal city. They want to be liberal but then… well let’s just say why national newspapers ran articles about how “surprising” it was to see actual violent conflict in such a liberal city as Portland; it’s really not that surprising. The city has a history of racial divide, and it’s not ancient history. Expensive coffees and hippy like clothing does not make someone liberal, oh and the co-ops, mostly white.

Well the people in town are without a doubt politically liberal, and when you drive around you see Black Lives Matter signs in their windows, but… there aren’t any black people around. Not because they’re excluded today, but they were for a very long time.

I didn’t see any right-wingers actually living in Portland. They drive in from the east to protest or whatever. I expect if you have right-wing values and live in Portland, you keep them to yourself.

I almost moved to Portland a few times. (I have family there.) Can a low-income person on disability get by pretty well? Or is it super expensive? I am sick of the Midwest.

Housing may be an issue. It seems broadly more expensive than, say, Chicago. And not by just a little.

There are options, depending on your situation, but aside from housing it doesn’t seem particularly bad.

Living in town is relatively expensive, living outside town isn’t.

I’d be pretty surprised if it’s more expensive than Chicago. 300k will buy you a really nice 2BR apartment in downtown Portland. Not a primo perfect new highrise condo right off the farmer’s market, that’s more like 800k, but a nice place for a mortal man to lay his head. And $600k will buy a really nice house, also right outside downtown.

I mean, you’re from the New York area, everything is more affordable to you ;)

Since he’s also from the midwest, the prices will be higher for @YakAttack no matter what. From my own experiences looking even going a good ways out of the city proper, it’s still pricier. Granted I have two kids, so my requirements are a bit different. But even the further flung suburbs are only slightly lower than Portland itself.

Caveat: I haven’t been looking east of the city, due to my work location.

Sure, I just wouldn’t guess Chicago is that much cheaper than NYC. The outskirts, sure.

Also if you like wine you should do a little tour of the Willamette Valley, my wife and I did that a few times, you know before the kids. And if you’re not comfortable driving while wine tasting, and that shit can sneak up on you even just tasting, there are van tours you can get in on too.

It surprisingly is. It is, for a major city, actually fairly affordable. Above national average, sure, but only about 125% of average or so. Compared to places like NY and Seattle which approach 200% or so?

Edit: Chicago is like 115%, Indianapolis 75%, Portland 200%, and New York and Seattle 300+% national average for housing.

I could move back to Bloomington. But if you step off campus, it’s mostly hicks, too. (There have been KKK rallies/parades a few times…)

There are additional reasons why they are not there today. It’s part of the same reason they aren’t down here, today, and the 1930 thing is not as big of a factor as it is the way some are treated… today. Portland has a lot of people drawn there with a lot of great and progressive ideas and beliefs, kind of like our one little liberal centric town here except… they also live in denial.

Portland housing is out of control if you ask people who live in OR, same as here. For people coming from outside of it, they don’t see it so easily.

Christ, 600k puts you in a McMansion in the exclusive parts of Columbus.

@YakAttack come to Columbus. I think you’d find it much more pleasant than Indy.

Yeah, or a smallish 1BR apartment in Brooklyn. Different areas, different costs.

Yeah, once HQ2 comes to the CBus, you’ll see. You’ll all see! Good luck @CraigM.

Construction and Building Unions Superannuation of Australia?

Columbus, OH

There’s a reason I still live in West Michigan instead of moving back out to the Pacific Northwest, and that reason is cost of living. Housing being the biggest part of that. My condo here (just a little thing, one bedroom) is about $120k located about 20 minutes from downtown Grand Rapids. I’d be lucky to get something similar in the PNW for twice that, plus food/gas/etc is higher too. I could afford it if I really wanted to, but why give up that kind of extra disposable income?

Aquavit Bloody Marys are a life changer- like drinking a nice alcoholic rye and tomato sandwich. Or Aquavit and coffee. Or just Aquavit. Cold. And the æbelskiver. So delicious.

Since they were closed for the fourth, I’m trying again today. Took me an hour by bus and train to get there (the train nearly hosed me, and I had to sprint to catch the 44 at the Rose quarter before it left) but lunch today will be based on your suggestion.

I’ve lived in the midwest. I’m perfectly happy to spend twice as much on housing to live someplace that I truly love.