MS: 360 sold 310,00 last week, 2:1 over PS3, sony: Nuh-uh

It is lies, the ones they showe didn’t actually do anything, by the time they had any working hardware to show, those jacks disappeared. I’d be surprised if a model with functional outputs in those places ever existed, simply because its so retarded.

GIGABIT ethernet jacks, don’t forget. and the ps3 had TWO 1080ps, while the 360 only has ONE 720P. more p’s = more better

Announce stuff before it’s finalized = “you lied about what you might be able to accomplish.”

Only announce stuff once it’s finalized = “you never listen to customer feedback.”

In the end, though, I’m not sure where in the equation of “PS3 sales were about the same this month as 360 sales the same distance out from launch” people are finding the death of the PS3.

what? If anyone thought they had listened to customer feedback, it wouldn’t be a problem. They didn’t do that either. They went in full reverse from what was originally announced, when those original announcements were pie in the sky lies that any reasonable person knew they couldn’t possibly reach, and were just intended to make microsoft look bad in comparison.

In the end, though, I’m not sure where in the equation of “PS3 sales were about the same this month as 360 sales the same distance out from launch” people are finding the death of the PS3.

the place where the 360’s software sales were much better and it wasn’t distantly trailing two same-gen competitors at the time.

Wow, that UKR image really touched some nerves apparently.

In order for the PS3 to catch up, it needs to be 2:1 in THEIR favor. It doesn’t matter if the 360 sold 100,000 more consoles or 100. If they sold more, they’re taking a lead and making it bigger.

It’s like those threads that look at the <sarcasm>oh so accurate</sarcasm> VGCharts numbers and go “Look! The PS3 is on the same sales curve as the Xbox 360!” So what? At that rate, they’ll always be exactly one year behind in total installed base. How is that good for Sony? The PS3 sales curve needs to be significantly steeper than the 360’s for them to eventually have greater market share.

Can you imagine what the PS3 would have cost to manufacture if it had included all of those ports? iSuppli estimated they were losing $240 on every $599 60GB PS3 based on the final design.

I still wish they would have put at least a single USB port on the back. Gah.

A few Xbox/PS3 threads ago, someone mentioned that the PS3 was selling faster than the xbox.

I did a simple extrapolation and found out that the PS3 would equal and surpass the 360 in about five years.

So, yeah.

The longer they can keep on par with the post-launch sales rate, the less meaningful that year becomes in difference as a percentage of overall sales – gradually approaching parity. That alone is good news compared with many a dire prediction.

… but only if you measure success in consoles sold.

When you look at other, potentially more meaningful axes (like software attach rate), things look more grim.

In other words, a chunk of PS3 sales is primarily as a Blu-Ray player rather than a game-playing device. Those systems won’t generate software sales, and end up being a drain rather than a boon to Sony’s games group.

Likewise with any customers who may have bought the system exclusively as a shiny linux box.

can they? sure thy’re on par when you factor in staggered european launch, and price drop bulges in, but in those months in between…they’re losing ground. that year doesn’t become less meaningful if the 360 sales are incresaing on a year over year basis.

lets assume they are selling what the 360 sold last year. ok. but the 360 is selling 1.5x (or whatever it is when the numbers come out) more than it sold last year, right now. They’re not chasing the 360 a year ago, they’re chasing it right now, and they’re losing ground.

Yeah, it doesn’t address that at all, and you’re right: it brings into question the entire assumption that they’re tracking similarly, depending on what conclusions one attempts to draw from it.

The whole thing depends on the accuracy of the statement that they’re on par to begin with. But if that’s the case, then a year is still a year, and eventually, even with growth (unless you’re talking iPod style multi-hundred-percent growth), a year usually represents a smaller percentage of total sales as time goes on. It’s not hard to imagine PSP-style sales spikes narrowing the gap, but it’s even easier to imagine Halo3 style spikes increasing the gap instead – especially since such a spike just happened.

Were they? I haven’t seen any stats on software sales, but I don’t remember much selling well on the 360 until the end of last year, and the PS3 is now starting to get some sales. I don’t know that it has to catch up to the 360 to be a viable platform for developers, especially if it can offer anything the 360 can’t.

How many million sellers does the 360 have already? It’s something like 29 isn’t it? I think from the numbers I saw it’s easily on pace to have more million sellers than the PS2 did, which seems crazy.

what? I’m not sure what alternate universe 2006 you were living in, but I remember games like oblivion, dead rising, saints row just to mention a few doing pretty good numbers on the 360.

Except that they get money from BluRay movies sold too. Sony would probably be happy to “lose” this generation’s console war if it meant winning the HD format war and replacing DVD as the standard.

The PS3 is not just a loss-leader to get people to buy games, it’s also to get people to buy BluRay movies. People who buy it for the BluRay may well be more important to Sony than people who buy it for games.

but they haven’t done that yet. sure they’re beating hd dvd in market share, but hd dvd just won’t die, and the market isn’t big enough to make an impact on anyone’s bottom line at the moment.

Well yeah, I’m not saying it’ll work for them. Personally I don’t think either format will really win, in the sense of becoming ubiquitous. However, they’ve bet a lot more than just the PS3 on winning this format war (they’re now giving away players with HDTVs), so in that sense a PS3 sold to watch BluRay movies can’t really be written off as a wasted sale since it fits perfectly with their overall strategy. Even if their strategy is flawed and doomed to failure.