MS Net Framework?

So I was looking in my remove program folder, and noticed I have four versions of Net Framework in there. 1.0, 1.1 hotfix, 2.0 & 3.0. Do I really need all of these or can I safely remove the earlier versions?

Thanks.

You need all of them. Or, at least, it’s safest to keep all of them. A program built against a particular version of the framework will only work with that version, so removing an old version will break any programs that happened to be using it.

Having multiple versions of libraries is only a Loonix issue. LOL@GLIBC. Delete whatever you want.

</threadtroll>

You could delete the 1.x versions and hope that any 1.x programs you still have will agree to work on 2.0… but what’s the point, really? All those versions together take up a mere 280 MB. That’s like a quarter of a single game demo.

Well it is pretty retarded to have to keep them.

Actually it isn’t retarded. Versioning of framework components is kind of a messy business and the way .NET handles it actually the absolute best way to do it even if it wastes a tiny bit of harddrive space. You’ve likely had at least one app become royally fucked up at some point in time due to DLL and/or COM versioning problems that you weren’t even aware of due to inferior methods of handling this issue. Sacrificing 280 megs of space so that things Just Work (ok, ok… so they are far more LIKELY to Just Work) is a small price to pay.

In the end, it means that every single .NET program doesn’t have to repackage all the .NET DLLs with itself, so it’s a pretty big win.

I agree with storing versions of the framework for compatibility. However, the .NET components ideally would reside somewhere in Microsoft’s System32 thicket, rather than in the user folder Program Files.

This isn’t like typical program versions, where the new version replaces the old one. They’re all designed to coexist in peace.

It’s really no big deal. The libraries are relatively tiny, and aren’t loaded in memory if they’re not being used.

Whoever decided to name these 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 needs to learn where the user research department is, though, if they’re not able to realize on thier own how confusing this is compared to, oh, every other piece of versioned software out there. They should have come up with some kind of word-based naming system, instead of using numeric versions.

One-Zero, Two-Zero and Three-Zero?

Unless you’re supporting some legacy app that was badly coded, you can get rid of 1.0 and 1.1. 2.0 has full support for code from those frameworks, although the syntax is more rigorous. 3.0 just came out, so I’d wait a bit for some patches to 3.0 before knocking out 2.0.

H.

Don’t listen to him! There were a few breaking changes from 1.1 to 2.0 so you do NOT want to uninstall 1.1. You might uninstall 1.0 but really… what’s the big deal? Do you also go around counting how many bytes all your MFC libraries are using up?

But they do reside in the Windows directory! You shouldn’t have any .NET system libraries in Program Files, although I think the Office interop assemblies are stored there.

You’re probably really talking about the fact that they’re in the Add/Remove Programs list when they should really be in the Windows Components list. That was indeed a silly decision.