MS Surface

Latest Thinkpad keyboards are hit and miss. I had two of the same exact models a few years ago and one had an amazing, tight feeling keyboard with just the right amount of travel I loved to type on while the other was extremely mushy and required more effort to type with accuracy.

This happened twice - second time was last year when I bought a T480s. Had to return it due to a yellowish, low brightness screen and was dreading the replacement machine having a worst keyboard (keyboard was decent on machine I sent back), but was pleasantly surprised that keyboard on replacement machine was even nicer.

They use something like three different keyboard manufacturers (same with their screens), so it’s a game of chance which you’ll get, something Lenovo should better control considering what these cost.

I will never trust a computer from Lenovo/China.

Funny you should mention this. I needed a Windows machine for work so decided to try another Thinkpad X1 Extreme. This time I discovered that there is a BIOS (1.19 I think) that addresses the power management issues. The screen on my new Thinkpad has zero issues, the keyboard while still squishy doesn’t distract like the old one did. It’s like I have version 1.5 of the machine (my original was purchased close to when it was first released). I am going to take it on the road to see how it holds up.

Surface Book was 2015 and Book 2 was 2017, so it’s time for some Book 3 action! (Hopefully).

And word is the next-generation Surface Pro will finally advance the overall design and be something entirely new.

Some kind of new button? A stylus? Two styluses (stylii?) that you use like chopsticks?

Mechanical keyboard-ish? Surface products have fairly well regarded keyboards considering the whole marketplace. Maybe some kind of combo touchpad/drawing surface?

The audio clues in that tweet were not particularly inspiring (or helpful). I have no idea.

Dragging it across the floor and throwing it in the trash?

Some kind of automobile integration? Kinda sounded like a car driving in the distance, computer docking, car door shutting, typing…

A dock within a dock? The Fortress Maximus of laptops?

I gotta think there’s still a surprise they’re keeping close to the vest. We didn’t know about the Book or the Studio (we knew it was an all-in-one, but not what it could do) until their reveals

Surface Android phone, preloaded with all the Microsoft apps, 90Hz 1080p 6.2" display, $499!

Nah, it’ll be all last year’s stuff with USB-C ports finally.

We’re live
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/microsoftevent

Huh, thought this was 10am PST.

What the heck with this piano stuff.

It’s never a Surface event without Panos showing off his kids.

First up is Surface Laptop 3. 13.5 and 15-inch. removable hard drive. Ryzen 7!!!

removable hard drive? Is that a thing in laptops nowadays?

First thing Panos does is highlight their keyboard excellence. He may as well be glaring at Apple as he says it.

Implies it’s serviceable/repairable.

That 15" Surface Laptop 3 with Ryzen is a sexy beast.