ms teams replacement?

Speaking of anticompetitive stuff MS is doing, I think Dropbox should sue them for integrating OneDrive into explorer for everyone. Hopefully they can get them to remove it because even though I use OneDrive I’m pretty sure it has caused my explorer performance to go to shit.

In fact, MS forcing Skype on people’s machines via updates sounds a lot more anticompetitive than what they’re doing with Teams.

Teams has gone from a cluster fuck to considerably better than Skype for Business - typical MS to drop a dumpster fire on the market then slowly work on improving it.

I haven’t ever used Slack for work but I very much prefer Teams now over Zoom/WebEx/Skype for online meetings, especially when screen sharing is involved. I can now reliably join from my phone so I can walk around the house and use my speaker phone and then also join from my laptop if I need to screen share. Everything else manages to bungle that in one way or another. For example I run in Ultrawide 1440 most of the time and if I screen share in webex the screen is tiny even if I just share a window. Teams correctly sizes everything.

If you’ve used both, trust me, DropBox is FAR AND AWAY a better product. But OneDrive integration is indeed driving numbers in their direction. If I were to randomly ask 100 of our users about OneDrive, however, probably 90% would hate it. It’s not nearly as easy as shares used to be and all the integrations lead to broken links or lack of access problems and associated tickets, daily. Those who get it, get it. Those who don’t hate IT for taking away old share drives and removing department spends on DropBox.

And I agree with them.

Not sure if you’re also teams voice enabled (ability to make and receive normal calls on Teams) but that’s also an extra thing that it can do that adds to the pile and makes it pretty nifty to have.

Skype for Business is literally worse than Stalin.

Lync was worse than Pol Pot.

That’s a seriously low bar. And I like Teams.

Tell me how you guys really feel about Skype for Business?

I mentioned that because I was forced to go through the whole transition and there was a large part of that where I preferred Skype, I shit you not.

That’s no longer true. Teams is perfectly cromulent these days.

I don’t like it, Gendal. I don’t like it at all.

I had that same growing pain from Lync to Skype but also Skype to Teams.

The one I have ZERO love lost for is Sametime (aka “sometime.”)

If we think MS devs are bad, anything and everything IBM business productivity was a burning tire fire.

Funny how the rule of threes applies to Microsoft. Takes MS three tries to get something right.

Windows 1, 2, both shit the bed, then 3.

Surface pro 1, 2, garbagesauce, then along came 3.

Lync, Skype for Business, both featured on To Catch a Predator, then comes Teams.

Blaming your shitty corporate culture on a communication app is such a CEO thing to do.

I work for a small company (30 or so) and we were all in the same small office pre-Covid. Slack was a big problem then because a ton of info that should have been properly curated and shared with other tools always ended up in Slack DMs. Regardless of warning people about it, closing channels, etc. For whatever reason, people just went back to Slack DMs, even when sitting next to each other and with other tools available. Slack’s stats consistently showed that about 90% of all messages sent were DMs. We were considering nuking it.

Now, we are all remote and have been since March. Slack is superb for supporting remote work. The threading sucks and search isn’t great, but ironically, far fewer messages are in DMs now and the team members are using our other tools appropriately.

As an aside, Miro is excellent for a remote collaborative white board and brainstorming tool.

That’s really interesting. So people starting using the toolkit as intended when the physical workplace changed. Something is no longer driving its misuse. Curious.

We never had a problem with overusing DMs on Slack or Teams. We did see a lot less coordination via email though, which was more easily auditable.

This has been the same across the board for a lot of companies and whichever tool they were using. It’s either enhanced things quite a bit and proven itself, or been replaced WHILE this was going on. We settled on Teams before this but adoption rate went through the ROOF immediately at the first COVID push to stay home and it’s only gone higher since then.

What remains to be seen post-COVID is the new adoption rate of video meetings, reduced need for travel, etc. Some of these execs are missing their airline miles and status, I’m sure of it. Corporate culture is a strange beast. I’m not sure COVID will kill all the C-level and direct report bullshit that goes on, but for the rest of us, Teams has vaulted into one of if not THE most use application throughout the day.

I doubt that very much, work travel always sucks, business class just makes it suck less.

I dunno man, I know several execs who seem to pride themselves on their travel as though it’s some sort of work badge of honor. I travel too, but it’s a hundrance. I’m talking about the level that jet around to meetings in Europe one week then over to somewhere in Asia two weeks later. Things that 100% could be done with Teams. That’s the true win if it were to cease.

Once you graduate to private jetting around I’m sure it’s extremely pleasant, but for the vast majority of guys stuck in business class it still sucks. Tremendously less than coach, certainly, but still not a pleasant experience.

Hey, you’re speaking my language now. I have 5 trips to shitty places before year end and they are going to have to happen. I’d rather they get pushed out but timelines have been delayed long enough as-is. These are flights into relatively crappy places, staying at a few no-name motels because that’s all there is, etc. I feel ya, it sucks.

I’m not talking about that kind of travel. I have gear to install or you have direct work with a team, etc. I’m talking about the usual director level travel that you wonder what on earth they are doing it for. Where they meet for two weeks about something that really hardly needed to be face to face. They get catered lunches in a conference room and go out on company tab every night enjoying the finer dining establishments. I’ve gotten to attend a few of those over time. They are, again in my humble opinion, completely fluff travel.

Also, dude, business class to Europe and Asia is quite nice. You’re complaining?

No, I never get to take business class. Typically I’ll fly a redeye in coach somewhere shitty like Frankfurt, the Newark of Europe, for a 11 AM meeting which will be completely in German, which I do not speak, and then fly back that night. So I avoid travel as much as possible.

I’m a coach traveler as well. Anything over 8 hours gets a, “consideration,” of a bump to business class. Ha. Hahahahahahahaha. Oh, sorry, that was my sarcastic laugh.