MST3K Rocks!

“SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!”

The Rifftrax of Roadhouse kicks ass, btw.

No one likes atheists.

Yeah, being right tends to piss people off. :P

Frankly, I’m shocked that the poll is split 50/50 between Mike and Joel. Maybe I’m an old geezer but I thought there was plenty of love for Joel, and only a wee little bit for Mike.

He wasn’t horrible, but I thought Joel had the delivery, the material, and the demeanor down pat. When Mike came on, it was such a jarring change, and in my mind, the show just wasn’t the same. Sure, still entertaining, but not the same.

Of course, I voted for Mike by accident… so really, Joel should be winning by a slight margin. But still, all the love for Mike surprises me.

Megaweapon!

Quite a few people weren’t even introduced to the show till the Sci-Fi years, so a lot more people may be more familiar with Mike than Joel.

Speaking of Space Mutiny, two things got me thinking about this movie… the blatant use of Battlestar Galactica footage was one. I mean, how the heck did the filmmakers get away with that? Did they buy the rights or something? Second, I don’t think even once that the MST crew ragged on the movie for the Galactica stuff. Not once.

It’s not like they never made BG jokes before (the common joke usually amounted to, “Well at least I’ll have Battlestar Galactica, they’ll never cancel that show!”) but I just found it really odd.

— Alan

Two words:

Gristle McThornbody

Including other atheists.

I chose Mike over Joel because IMO, the latter ones with Mike are just funnier. Joel had a laid-back, hippy-dippy appraoch, and the show was obviously more kid-oriented back in the earlier days. They read letters from kids and the humor was much more tame. I did like Joel’s wont for physical/pantomime humor, though, where he’d goof around with the actual movie screen. I liked the mood with Mike more. They all sniggered at the film’s own awful lines instead of staying mute until they made a joke. Watch the one with Roswdower for a great example.

Dorky kid: “Rowsdower?” (he does this like 10 times in the film)

Mike and the bots: Snicker

Although, that’s the “FTW” stuff, as a lot of the Joel Years was superior, most notably TV’S Frank. Who, as we all know, rules. And Pearl Forrestor was horrid. Also, Mike tried to interweave lame subplots during the execrable interstitial bits, like a retarded “Mirror, Mirror” ripoff and an evil Crow clone. YAWN.

Cave Dwellers!

“It’s not just Ator flying - it’s the human spirit!”

It was actually fairly common to turn effects into stock footage until CG made it cheap to do them yourself. Even Galactica 1980 just re-used BSGs effects shots by placing them over different background plates.

Second, I don’t think even once that the MST crew ragged on the movie for the Galactica stuff. Not once.

It’s not like they never made BG jokes before (the common joke usually amounted to, “Well at least I’ll have Battlestar Galactica, they’ll never cancel that show!”) but I just found it really odd.

Ugh. That drove me nuts as well. I’m guessing it was one of two things: Either it was part of the deal when they got the rights to the film, or they decided it was too obvious a joke to make and put an embargo on it.

How’d you guys miss Big McLargeHuge on the list?

Mike was pretty good, but Joel was the host for the best episode ever, “Pod People,” so he gets my vote. My favorite Mike episode is probably “Parts: The Clonus Horror,” also known as the inspiration for The Island.

“Now this guy has Renaissance Festival written all over him.” “HUZZAH!”

Chief?

“Trumpy! You can do stupid things!”

My favorite Mike episode is probably “Parts: The Clonus Horror,” also known as the inspiration for The Island.

“Now this guy has Renaissance Festival written all over him.” “HUZZAH!”

“Well…I’m a puss.”

I love the internets

A Joel Short

A Mike Short

Best sci fi era gag:
http://mst3krollfizzlebeef.ytmnd.com/

And ofcourse
http://mst3klove.ytmnd.com/

Thanks for reminding me that I still have to snag the seasons of this. I completely forgot over the years (I recall building up my dvd collection and passing the vhs compilations for that sole reason). Do they now have all the seasons on dvd or do we still just have collections of a handful of episodes randomly picked from totally different seasons?

Tear to my eye.

There are just collections and quite a few of them aren’t available and demand a high price on Ebay.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who stands up and does a salute throughout the MST3k Love Theme at the end of each episode?