MST3K Rocks!

Let’s see how they do separately. I could see Mallon joining up with Joel.

I did a little searching around last night to see what everyone is up to, and it seems like Frank could use an intervention.

That was painful. I almost felt bad for him.

Not mentioned is the Film Crew stuff, which I honestly thought both entries I’ve seen so far have been fairly decent (Hollywood After Dark and Killers from Space) though the sketches are meh.

Some other MST3k rare classics:

The 3+ minute “highlight” reel the crew showed to the riffers as a surprise when they were filming the last show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9oED6w1IAc (mostly late-MST3k lines including Werewolf but there’s a couple, well maybe just one, early ones)

Mike & Tom Servo on ABC World News Now (the overnight live news program, not sure if they do it anymore): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqEehxYWPWI (has part of the “live” feel to it)

Assignment Venezuela starts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvzS1Ttad-s

— Alan

Awesome. I love that you can hear the crew members laughing from far off camera.

“wurrrrwerlf” is the funniest thing ever

“What you are saying is absolutely incradabul.”

Sorry if this has been mentioned before and I missed it, but:
There’s an interview with Trace Beaulieu from the View Askew site a few months ago. In it, he says that he wasn’t familiar with RiffTrax, and he wasn’t particularly interested:

QS: How do you view things like Mike’s RiffTrax project, or The Film Crew? Have you ever felt the urge to do something like that again?

BEAULIEU: Not riffing. Not movie mocking or anything like that. Joel and Josh and I did a little thing… what was it… Star Wait… And we were riffing on footage that a guy had shot of these Star Wars fans waiting for the movie to open. At first it was kind of weird being back with Joel and Josh and mocking something. That had its own strangeness to it. But I realized that without that character, I really didn’t have a reason to mock anything. I actually kinda like stuff. People have talked about, “Oh, you know you should do that again.” It’s like, “Well we did it.” I mean, that’s kind of why I left, was like, “I got it. I did that thing already.” And I haven’t seen what Mike and those guys have done.

Which could indicate any of the following:

1. The Cinematic Titanic thing is going to be more about the overall concept instead of the movies themselves (which is a safe bet anyway).
  2. Gossip-mongers can point out separate warring Mike & Kevin and Joel & Trace factions in the MST3K universe.
  3. It means nothing at all.
  4. I’m a jerk for holding a guy to a casual comment he made in an interview a while back.

He doesn’t outright dismiss the idea of doing a Rifftrax with Mike, but it would seem his involvement in Joel’s project would preclude that now.

Gah, the new mst3k.com site came up and the whole cartoon thing is just awful. I couldn’t watch it all the way through.

I do think that Joel could very well do a Rifftrax or two, for cross-marketing purposes that will help both groups, and I think they both know there’s enough money to go around that they don’t think they’ll be competing that much with each other (from a monetary and even time-wise point of view).

— Alan

Well, we’re thinking that these two guys are equals. But I think the role of learner and master has switched.

While RiffTrax is fun and all, that isn’t his job. He’s got a gig producing content at Legend Films, so I’m thinking that they wouldn’t want to piss off a potential source of funding from someone who’s likely to be sympathetic to their pitch.

Even though I still prefer Joel to Mike as far as MST3K is concerned, after more than a decade removed, the whole Cinematic Titanic seems a bit…opportunistic. Why now?

Of course, how it will do depends on the writing. Rifftrax does have some decent writing. It sounds like whatever team Mallon put together for the new mst3k.com…is lacking.

Yeah, that was just painful. I don’t think it could have been more disappointing.

What’s weird about it is how it references the MST3K stuff, but manages to capture none of the charm.

So the old fans won’t like it and new folks won’t get it.

It wasn’t good thats for sure. I do appricate that it is the original voices and its offical so I’ll give it some time.

What? Gypsy maybe, but Tom and Crow are both done by people who I’m pretty sure have never done it before.

Joel just strikes me as someone who’s kinda bitter because he didn’t get the attention he thinks he deserves…but he hasn’t really done anything since MST3K. Making fun of movies is a pretty small niche market. I don’t see how this new Titanic whoosiewhatsit gonna come to anything.

Also, their logo looks like it was designed by a teenager at the local Kinkos.

And the animated bots thing is absolutely horrible.

You think? I always got the feeling that Joel wasn’t very comfortable in the spotlight when MST became big, whereas Mike was happier to be a name. But that’s not from anything other than watching the show.

There is no new website. That thing does not exist.

For some reason I thought I read that it was the original Crow as well but turns out its an original member or the writing staff, Paul Chaplin , but not in fact Trace Beaulieu.

The first official Cinematic Titanic feature will be available for sale the Monday following our world premiere on Friday, December 7th. That makes the street date a solid, nearly firm, December 10th or as close as we can get. It’s a studio version of the live show packed with cool bonus features, so save your juice money. The name of the film we’ll be riffing on is a secret, but I’ll try to tempt you with some vague descriptions: it’s very rare, it’s very strange, and it’s of questionable quality. Needless to say it’s going to be perfect for our experiments. Please sign up for the mailing list if you haven’t already. We just love it when you do.

— Alan

I’m excited about this until they talk about the “original” Tom Servo guy. I just never dug him either as Servo or one of the Mads. But it’s been a while. Maybe he’s awesome now.

Wasn’t he like 18 at the time of the first season?