MST3K Rocks!

I’m confused. When I was watching the show in the 90’s, they instructed us to “keep circulating the tapes”. I did that, and video tape traded through the 90’s. Then when http://www.dapcentral.org/ came up, I downloaded all the episodes through that (I even contributed a few tapes!) I’ve got a binder with each show burned on a CD (because this was…BEFORE THE TIME OF DVDs…), and I didn’t pirate anything. I guess I got my hands on all the episodes before Rhino got there hands on some episodes, but as far as I know, it’s perfectly legal to download the vast majority of stuff from DAP.

The second cartoon is up. Its not getting better. :(

I wouldn’t really consider it to be pirating; it’s a defunct show that actually encouraged video distribution, even in the last season.

It gets into the gray area where you download episodes that were subsequently released before the Rhino DVDs/tapes or copies of the DVDs themselves (which is piracy), which DAP takes out of circulation but are still available. At the same time, many of the Rhino collections are no longer available and are out of print (mostly for loss of rights after X period of time). The movie is a pretty good example.

— Alan

Semi-review of the Cinematic Titanic opener for Lucasfilm, showing “Brain of Blood”:

Looks like the DVD release is gonna be delayed a bit from the 10th. No word on an exact date, they’re looking to spruce it up essentially.

— Alan

Well, it sounds like they’re actually building a full show here.

Characters, sets, etc.

So I get why it’s late.

While everyone’s waiting for Cinematic Titanic, let me just mention that the Rifftrax for Transformers, released a few weeks back, is one of the best I’ve heard (as far as non-Trek, non-Star Wars riffs go).

Of the recent riffs, Revenge of the Sith was very good (“Execute Order 66…” “…Spicy shrimp with snow peas!”), though not quite up to the quality of Attack of the Clones. However, Bourne Identity and Raiders of the Lost Ark are a bit uneven, further bolstering the case against riffing on good movies.

Wish there was some way to sync up rifftrax easily.

There’s the official Rifftrax Player (beta version), though that only works if you watch your movies on the computer. I don’t.

That is perfect! I’ll have to try it.

I am deeply offended that no one on here has mentioned my favorite MST3K episode: Terror from the Year 5000! F’n brilliant.

Also, 300 was the most consistently funny Rifftrax to date. Transformers was good, but petered out towards the end. They don’t have a lot to say during the action sequences. Of course, I haven’t seen Daredevil yet, so the sheer joy of watching one of my least-favorite films eviscerated might trump 300.

Once you start riffing on modern movies (and good ones even!) the concept just loses me.

MST3K riffed movies from the late 80s and even 90s; Soultaker was 1990, Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell came out in 1988 (which is a freakin great episode), The Final Sacrifice for 1990 (worst Canadian movie ever), and Werewolf (“Warwilf!”) came out in 1996, a mere two years before it was rightly ripped apart in MST3k.

Those were all pretty “modern” in compared to when they were riffed.

— Alan

[URL=“http://www.sfsketchfest.com/home/”]Rifftrax live in SF.

I’ve already got my tickets.

So many good lines (probably misremembered)

“Im sorry, terror is on backorder right now”

“What happened to the day-ball?”

Thanks for the heads-up! I’m always getting junk mail from SF Sketchfest but didn’t get a notice for this one.

So did anybody here actually go to the Lucasfilm Cinematic Titanic show?

And PS: The best MST3K episodes are “Godzilla vs Megalon” and “Wharvulf.”

Oh my Holy Jeebus God, they Rifftrax’d the Star Wars Holiday Special.

— Alan

Mike

Joel had Dr. Forrester and T.V’s Frank, but that is not Joel. I am basing my vote on the person, not the cast surrounding the person.

They both kick ass, and I hate this damn debate anyway.

For those who hate syncing up their rifftrax, behold! On Demand.

Cinematic Titanic’s first offering is up – The Oozing Skull! Trailer here, info here.

Looks like they’re selling it for sixteen bucks ($12.95 + $2.99 ship’n’burn fee – ie, they’ll be $12.95 normally, looks like), DVDs ship in a couple weeks. Placed my order already.

“Oh, this is like that one continuous take in Goodfellas where just for you take you see the-- Oh, I guess not.”

-Tom