MST3K Rocks!

Looks like they’re selling it for sixteen bucks ($12.95 + $2.99 ship’n’burn fee – ie, they’ll be $12.95 normally, looks like), DVDs ship in a couple weeks. Placed my order already.

NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY

Oh, for fuck’s sake… Isn’t it about time people went in to negotiate worldwide licenses for this kind of thing? It can’t cost that much more, what with there not being anything outside North America’s borders in the first place…

I done ordered it!

Two Andrew Myer agree, so it must be awesome.

Anyone get their copy of Cinematic Titanic yet? Mine shipped a few days ago and was hoping to have it today, but no such luck.

They have a forum up over at the web site now, and I was poking around last night.

One guy in Kansas got his yesterday. The rest didn’t. I figure we’ll see them show up in the next few days.

Gonna sit down and watch it right now :)

Edit: Er, no I’m not, just remembered there’s a playoff game on now.

I know this is ancient but…Jet Jaguar is from Godzilla vs. Megalon, not a Gamera movie.

And to tie back to your first point, it’s available on the 10th MST box set, which had a ridiculously small print run due to licensing difficulties/restrictions with Toho, and now goes for $200-300 on eBay. A “10.2” box is on the way with another movie replacing Godzilla vs. Megalon.

Mine just arrived as well. Yay!

I hate football! Yay!

I’ve watched a few Rifftrax over the past couple weeks, namely the Star Wars prequel trilogy and Bourne Identity.

A few hits, but mostly misses on jokes. They tend to get accustomed to regurgitating the same joke on certain elements in the movies ad nauseum throughout, and it’s often those that are big letdowns. For the Star Wars films, every time Yoda was on screen you are guaranteed a flatulence joke, for Jar Jar there was no funny depreciation, just ‘sigh’s’ and suicidal comments. They had this uncanny need to CONSTANLY mispronounce fictional names for planets, ie. ‘Naboo=Poopoo’ as a witty way to jest Lucas’s naming conventions, which always fell flat. In the Bourne movie, expect lots of calling Damon a “squarehead” every time he is on screen(pretty much the whole movie), gay references to Affleck were never out of bounds either.

Occasionnally they made some hilarious situational humor relative to the scene, but they were few and far between. Also Chad Vader’s cameo in Episode 2 were some of the best commentary jokes in the track, but he spoke sparingly which is unfortunate.

Bottom-line every fifth joke was gold, the rest not.

Yep. It was incredibly good fun. Highlight for me was the slinky comments. The Q&A afterwards was good too, particularly how quickly it all ended after they were asked why they hadn’t done Episode 1 ;)

I actually think the builds are some of the funniest things they do, and part of what I liked a lot on Mike’s run on the show.

The flatulence jokes bug the hell out of me though. They do it in 300 as well, and they never work.

The Jar Jar suicide stuff just slays me though. I love it.

They had this uncanny need to CONSTANLY mispronounce fictional names for planets, ie. ‘Naboo=Poopoo’ as a witty way to jest Lucas’s naming conventions, which always fell flat. In the Bourne movie, expect lots of calling Damon a “squarehead” every time he is on screen(pretty much the whole movie), gay references to Affleck were never out of bounds either.

I didn’t see Bourne, but I thought making fun of the names was good.

Occasionnally they made some hilarious situational humor relative to the scene, but they were few and far between. Also Chad Vader’s cameo in Episode 2 were some of the best commentary jokes in the track, but he spoke sparingly which is unfortunate.

Was it? I was so happy they went that route. Having Chad do his “I’m Vader’s brother, he got all the hot chicks” thing works fine in very small doses, but I think we got enough.

I started watching Cinematic Titanic for a bit today, and I’m starting to think they just have to many people up there. The whole thing feels way more scripted than either MST3K or RiffTrax ever has. I think a big part of that is the need to get out of the way of the next person’s jokes.

It’s the first one, so I’m willing to give them some time to get the whole thing up to speed. After all RiffTrax wasn’t so great when it started either…

I watched about five or ten minutes of it as well, then decided to wait until I had a couple fellow MST3K aficionados over to watch it with. Can’t say I was overwhelmed by what I saw so far, but then, the movie was only just getting rolling, there wasn’t much to riff on yet.

(Note to the inattentive reader: I am not replying to myself)

Got a group together to watch the show this weekend.

Verdict: EXCELLENT!

It starts weak, but they get it rolling, and then it clicks. You’ll know your over the hump after the line “No one will be admitted for the last four minutes of the first fifteen minutes of this film!”

The “freeze” sequences aren’t great, but they don’t all suck either.

I watched the whole thing as well over the weekend. I agree, it starts off really slow, and it’s just all a bit weird with all of the old voices, and then Mary Jo chimes in. I didn’t really start laughing until Mary Jo’s line about the doctor, “Wow you must be really confident if you don’t think anything is going to happen” (or whatever, Frank had a really good one right around the same time but will have to rewatch).

It did get a bit better but holy crap was the movie awfully stupid. I mean, wow. They picked a get one.

— Alan

I saw the first Cinematic Titanic last night as well. I wouldn’t give it an all-caps EXCELLENT, but I thought it was very good.

Felt very much like old-school (e.g. second season) MST3K; to the degree that it made me realize how much the series gradually changed over the years.

The thing is, I can only remember one stand-out gag from “The Oozing Skull” (the bit about “there’s no such thing as rat venom”), but five or six gags from the RiffTrax version of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” that I also watched this weekend. (In particular: “I’m uncomfortable with this Jewish ritual.” “I like my foreskin.”)

Sorry about this possibly inappropriate thread necro, but I wanted to share this article I found and I guess this is as good a place as any:

http://www.avclub.com/article/shout-factory-app-bring-mst3k-comcasts-xfinity-box-251700

So if you’re a Comcast cable customer I guess you now have access to a bunch of MST3K episodes? I’ll check this out tonight.

I have a friend that works at Shout! Factory, and it seems like an incredibly awesome place to work. They have done such an amazing job getting MST3K out there via DVD and streaming.

What does “curated episodes” mean?

That’s not clear. Some subset of episodes they had available I’m guessing, but I’ll check how many later if I can.

Ech. Probably screwed because we use TiVo instead of comcast’s boxes. However, I have an old one downstairs on a tv that doesn’t get used frequently that I know is due for an exchange to answer one…