MST3K Rocks!

Sometimes I see what’s on Over-The-Air television. I was pleased to spot a MST3K rerun on one of those fake networks that repackage a bunch of syndicated shows. The network is called Comet and focuses on SF shows and movies from the latter half of the 20th century. What especially tickled me was that Comet (and its MST3K rerun) was being locally broadcast on a subchannel of Channel 23. Back when I was in fifth grade, I’d watch the occasional episode on Channel 23 when it was the UHF station KTMA. The Satellite of Love flew full circle.

Keep your blipverts to yourself buddy.

Judging by the pollution content of the atmosphere?

And there’s so much whalesong in the background!

Hey here’s more good news - 20 episodes of MST3K will be coming back to Netflix!

Sweet!

A couple of weeks back on that Comet channel I caught an episode of MST3K where they were lampooning a truly terrible movie called Red (something) Cuba–yes, it was so terrible I forget the title. It was produced and directed, and starred a flabby guy who looked like he was at least 60. They’d managed to entice an actual decent actor, John Carradine, to do the opening scene, which lasted maybe 3 minutes. It was all downhill from there.
I love the MST3K treatment, but sometimes the movies they would pick would be SO BAD you really couldn’t sit through them despite all the clever japes and asides.

Red Zone Cuba!

Netflix Episodes for the unititiated, Jon’s definitive ranking:

Eegah! - Top 10 favorite episode, make sure to watch out for snakes when watching this.
Future War - OK
The Giant Gila Monster - Eh
Hercules Against The Moon Men - Eh
Horrors Of Spider Island - Excellent, stay out of my writing space, please
I Accuse My Parents - Great Joel stuff! Poor Jimmy.
Jack Frost - Top 5 favorite episode, You want to see a Russo-finnish dub-fest with trained bears? Here you go.
Laserblast - Ok
Manos: The Hands Of Fate - This episode is OVERRATED! But still great, everything with Torgo is pure gold.
Merlin’s Shop Of Mystical Wonders - Top 10 favorite episode, this movie is just… insane
Pod People - Top 5 favorite episode, this ET ripoff is amazing, Trumpy, you have stupid powers.
Puma Man - Really bad movie, really bad effects, great riffs
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians - A holiday classic
Sidehackers- An older episode, some great bits
Space Mutiny - Top 5 favorite episode, Big McLargeHuge would agree!
Teenagers From Outer Space - Great, what passes for teenagers is… suspect.
Time Chasers - Great! - Visit the future of 50 years from now, that looks like 3 years from now.
Werewolf - Top 5 favorite episode, bad accents, bad acting, bad effects, mad movie, great episode.
Zombie Nightmare - Adam west is in this, enough said

Missing, the absolute hands-down best episode of all time, Final Sacrifice

Also missing; Soultaker, Riding with Death, The Time of the Apes, Boggy Creek II, Touch of Satan, Hobgoblins, Mitchell, Cave Dwellers, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, Final Justice

But, all in all a pretty good collection!

I wanted War of the Colossal Beast for Mr. B Natural. Going to have to sit down with the wife and my son (home from college) and do some watching.

Needs Fugitive Alien too

This Island Earth, please.

That was the theatrical MST movie, right?

I watched Future War a couple nights ago (which I had never seen) and oh my god is that a shitty, shitty movie. The fact that it’s more recent than the 50-70s stuff that was on MST of yore somehow just accentuates how many poor decisions a filmmaker can make.

Last night I gave my son a choice of episodes to watch and he picked MANOS (since I told him it was a classic). So, now he’s had that experience. “The woman, yes! The child, no!”

Yeah. There’s a sequence in the credits that’s particularly funny to my parents and I, so it’s always held a special place in my heart :)

Also, “Normal viewwwww! Noooormaaaal viewwwww!” etc :)

Tinkerbell’s going down! Pull up, Tinkerbell! Pull up!

The episodes are all downloadable on the mobile app as well (note that the mobile app downloads all expire after a couple of weeks, meaningly basically you’d have to re-download them again if you so desired).

— Alan

They did Overdrawn at the Memory Bank? With Raul Julia? I actually watched that, like, on purpose. The non-MST3K version. I remember it being odd, but not that bad. But my memory could be faulty.

I’m so happy Netflix made this global. Until now my entire MST3K experience has consisted of an imported six episode best of DVD and a couple that were on Youtube.