MTV orders Shannara series

That’s what I was looking for, though I certainly agree with stusser’s Seeker review.

It’s par for the course. Look at a big-budget fantasy like the Hobbit or even the much, much better LOTR trilogy. How many characters in there were more than one dimensional? You either spend on-screen time building a fantasy world or building characters. It’s tough to do both and even tougher in a TV context. Can you think of a show that’s done significantly better in the genre, other than GOTS? Buffy, one of my favorite genre shows targeted at the same age group was HORRIBLE in the first half of season 1.

they’re aiming well for the market—both main characters are dealing with insecurity, rebellion against authority, and sexual tension. Were any of us all that different as teens?

The post-apocalyptic science fiction/high fantasy hybrid genre goes back well before '77 - at least to Jack Vance’s Dying Earth stories, starting in 1950.

Oh man, I forgot about the Dying Earth stories, I loved those. Still have an omnibus of most of them, I’m going to end up cracking it back open now, I know it.

The downside of Dying Earth is it inspired D&D’s annoying “daily spell slots” magic system :-P

I am posting this with my eyes closed to not see any spoiler.

Is this one of these fantasy worlds where magic have a interesting system to it, instead of a generic one? I love that shit, I remember reading some novel about some dude using blood magic to do weird shit, that thing was spooky.

How can you read the anwers with your eyes closed?

But yes, the entire magic system is based on candy and the sacrifce of sugarcoated accessories.

Ah, yet another carb-based magic system then.

That carb system is fine for the elves but Allanon is a hard core Paleo-magic user and stands by the old ways.

Do you even cast magic bro?

God, the Star Wars thread could take a lesson from this one.

I know right!

I guess the thread name I concocted was some good foresight.

I have twice tried to record the opening episode. I have plenty of space on my DVR, and 4 channel recording etc. For reasons not known to me, it didn’t record either time. Fate at work?

Do you have Amazon Prime? The first episode is free to stream on Prime.

And if you have cable with MTV you can go to MTV’s web site enter your cable provider info and stream the first 4 episodes for free as well.

And even if you don’t have MTV, you can get the MTV app on Xbox One (and PS4, I assume) and watch the first two eps for free. There’s commercials, though.

Hey, speaking of things Terry Brooks, did anyone else ever read his Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! books? I read them at least twenty years ago and thought they were pretty good yarns. Around the same time, I was reading the TimeWars books by a guy whose pseudonym was Simon Hawke (about a military outfit in the future that sends its agents to the past in order to keep it on track).

Dying Earth and Jack Vance are fucking legendary… Different category really.

Check your provider’s OnDemand options. I know Dish has the first four episodes up.

I loved both of those series. Admittedly my tastes were a bit simpler then. I have no idea if they would hold up.