Mulan - The live action movie

I will just miss the characters I think, but you know I liked Lion King and a lot of people seemed to hate that. Cinderella live action was a little bland but not bad so… I’ll see this I’m sure. It looks not bad at all, I just don’t know why they’re presenting it like it’s got more of the animated stuff than I think it will have.

Cinderella was the worst. At least when Beauty and the Beast was doing shot for shot, they occasionally worked in stunning visuals and outdoors scenes.

It wasn’t that creative, but tell me the ballroom wasn’t technically and visually impressive.

Beauty and the Beast was pretty awesome, and I know a number of young girls who consider that to be THE version of Beauty and the Beast. I think of the live actions, Jungle Book is my favorite thus far.

Maleficant, and its not particularly close.

I own that one too. That was a pleasant surprise and not a remake of anything really.

Of all the live actions this would be the one I’m most interested in seeing. However unless they are doing something actually different with the story like they did with Maleficent I don’t really get the appeal of most of these. Especially Lion King. That one just seems silly to me.

I’m glad to just ignore these* live actions and send my wife and kid off to see them on 6 dollar tuesdays.

*Unless my daughter then gets obsessed with the soundtrack of one, like she did with Aladdin. Then daddy has to intervene and show her the animated version so we can transition to the superior soundtrack. (Speechless is acceptable, the rest are trash)

Looking forward to this one. I’ve not had any interest in any of the others, although the few I’ve seen have been acceptable, I guess, but this is the only one I’ve felt tempted to go and watch on the big screen.

Interesting stuff. All theaters are closed in China due to the coronavirus so this movie’s premiere in the region may be missed. Disney is really banking on this to succeed in China because they think the crossover will make up for lost sales from US audiences that may be disappointed because they want songs and a more straight live-action recreation of the animated movie.

They could’ve tempered this want if they disconnected it from the animated movie by giving it a different title and making it clearer this is something different. It looks interesting though just… disappointed it’s not the live-remake of the animated movie. This might draw those who have been unhappy with the live remakes though. We’ll see if they go.

It’s only 200 million, the monetary stakes could easily be higher. I don’t care if Disney blows $200 million out their ass and loses it all, they’ll be perfectly fine.

Apparently, not everyone is happy with this movie.

Also, apparently #MulanVirus is a new thing. Not sure it’s the same people coming up with this stuff though.

Some of this is motivated by Liu Yifei’s comments that she stood with the regime against the protesters in Hong Kong, but it’s frankly unrealistic to expect a mainstream Chinese celebrity to say anything bad about the government. Not without throwing their career away.

Could cost them a lot more than their careers, but yeah it’s important to know this is linked to Hong Kong at least.

I’m kind of sick of this boycott. Yes I side with the protesters but it was just her opinion man! It doesn’t represent thousands of people working on it.

If the plot of Mulan verges into CCP propaganda territory I would boycott it. If it is another cash grab from Disney I would boycott it. Otherwise it gets a meh from me.

It may not even be her real opinion. She’s gonna say whatever she needs to say to not get locked up. As for everyone else on the movie, I doubt you’d get much dissent if you asked the question in public.

So do you boycott every Disney movie?

Live action Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Dumbo, etc. etc. Yep quite a lot.

I haven’t watched any of those except Beauty and the Beast, and it wasn’t terrible, it just wasn’t as “magical” as the original animated version. Had the live action version been first who knows how we would think of the animated one.

But I don’t see not watching the others as a boycott so much as I have no desire to see live action versions. Besides, Mulan isn’t even the same movie as the animated version.

It’s not like I have seen the re-makes of all the other movies out there either.

The star of Disney’s new movie stands with the oppressive and totalitarian country she was born in… That makes sense. It also makes sense thay people that disagree with that can make their voice heard and not see the movie. Disney not correcting her de facto endorses her views. Bad optics on this one, Disney.