Multi-platform Game Comparisons - Console Wars Redux

Gotcha. More FUD you can spread about the Xbox. You do you.

When you go back into the game to take screenshots of the other side of the room from different angles we will also need proof that you are playing this on an Xbox. I think your screenshot might have been a false flag operation. :-P

There sure are a lot of Xbots on QT3.

Ha ha, wow. I guess we are all twelve.

I need use language to level of the room, so it would seem so.

I know you’re kidding, but to be clear, I grabbed that shot when I just happened to be running through the room and recognized it. I’m not going out of my way to find it again, just for Brad to pull some more bullshit out of his ass. He made a claim (or, rather was just asking questions) I provided evidence to the contrary, now I’m done with it.

And yeah, while I do primarily game on Xbox, the XSX was the first one I’ve bought at launch since the OG one. I also have a PS4 Pro (and VR setup for it)- Nintendo is the only console maker I’ve never owned anything by.

If I’m understanding the DF comparison, it’s a very academic/theoretical comparison anyway, as they’re comparing frame rate of camera movement in the photo mode, and it’s in that specific scenario that this specific reflection dropped out (in comparison to your screenshot which is not from photo mode).

Out of sheer curiosity I’d love to know if you could recreate that missing reflection by going into photo mode yourself, but ultimately my takeaway is that it’s fascinating but not especially meaningful that DF found a very specific, not-gameplay scenario in which they could compare an unlocked frame rate of the otherwise 30 fps capped graphics mode.

While that’s cute, we already covered this in the Xbox thread where most indicated that they own or have owned Sony and Nintendo consoles and have many positive things to say about them.

The conversation gets a little warped when there is a constant stream of negativity regarding the Xbox to a degree that seems obsessive or hair-splitting.

It also gets warped when people here believe the Xbox is somehow way more successful than it actually is, continually tout it and its Game Pass service as somehow indispensable, and are surprised to find out their favorite device is actually a distant third from their competitors.

What you perceive as a “constant stream of negativity” is actually just the fact that Microsoft is and has been losing at this video game thing for quite awhile now. That’s not “obsessive or hair splitting”. It’s just facts.

Yeah, I just make this stuff up. Right.

The fact that a grown-ass man still thinks in terms of their preferred video game device as ‘winning’ 'or ‘losing’ is kind of hilarious. And a little disconcerting. But mostly hilarious.

I don’t really care which console is ‘winning’ or ‘losing’ any given generation. I think I often play on the ‘losing’ console of each generation out of sheer luck, lol. I owned the PS3 when the 360 dominated the discussion and friends lists and the Xbox One when the PS4 and Switch were all the rage. I had a grand time on both despite whatever perceived rankings. :-)

Also God forbid people constantly talk about the value of Game Pass in the Xbox and Game Pass threads! The horror.

So I think you mistook my intention in your rush to rank consoles. It’s all good though.

1. The gamepass service might not interest you or be “indispensable” to you, however the fact is for many people, including myself, it is an indispensable service and seeing as Microsoft is pushing hard on it they obviously feel it’s "indispensable to their success on the console. I literally only bought the Xbox because of gamepass.

2. Other than maybe shareholders, who cares which company is “winning” or “losing”. They are all selling a ton of consoles/games right now and making a ton of money so really they are all “winning”. We as gamers reap the benefits of this competition, I don’t understand why people have this desire to see one lose.

It’s never been about my favorite device winning or losing. As you and others are so fond of pointing out, many of us own all the machines. I can’t justify a Series X now and I think the Series S is a joke that should never been released, but regardless, I still enjoy some Microsoft games and have used and enjoyed the Game Pass service. I own an Xbox One, 360, OG Xbox and have extensive libraries on each except One where they just plain lost the plot. It’s documented right here on this board.

The discussion about which machine is most successful is interesting on its own merits but also because success indicates support, which consoles must acquire or deliver via first party software to be successful. Again, that in itself is a good discussion and debate where Microsoft, until deciding on acquisition, was way behind their competitiors.

Because you want to ignore this discussion or make it into a juvenile attack on myself is exactly why I asked for a thread like this to contain the discussion. There are people here at Qt3 with vested interest in Microsoft being seen positively. It causes industry discussion to have a green slant, which is odd considering actual market conditions. I comment on that too because it’s far from reality.

I very much doubt that this is true. I can’t speak for others, but I have no illusions about Microsoft being a distant 2nd in the Xbox One generation (though ahead of the Wii U). There’s a difference between thinking that the Game Pass service is indispensable to us or to me and the actual fact of sales success. Sure, I/we hope that the value of the service we see will translate to other people and be a sales success as well, but I don’t think anyone is under any illusions that Microsoft is coming from behind here and is likely to end up in a distant third if the Game Pass strategy doesn’t work and if the moment of the Xbox One carries forward they will in fact end up in third.

But there’s a difference between that, and hoping that this is not the case, so that the console space remains competitive and all 3 console makers keep contributing their own unique contributions to the space.

I think it’s pretty clear at this point that Switch will win this generation, and that Sony will be just fine. The question is, will Microsoft also be successful enough? We hope so, and we share what we love about it.

I think this is a very worthwhile sentiment. I don’t want to see any of the three major console manufacturers get knocked out or fall to a wholly non-competitive position. We have seen enough hardware or ecosystem consolidation in other markets and I want each of the big three here putting market pressure on the others.

While Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all essentially competing for the same pools of limited attention and money they each seem to be brining or marketing different models this generation which is refreshing.

Indeed. :-)

Ok, define ‘support’. See, I see this as just more FUD. To set a baseline here, everyone understands that 1st- and 2nd- party titles are locked on a platform, right? And yeah, last-gen, Sony did better at that. Of course, MS is also criticized for buying their way into the 1st-party thing, but we’ll just leave that aside.

So that leaves 3rd-party stuff. You’re trying to imply that somehow, folks who buy an Xbox are going to be missing out on third-party releases because the console is unpopular … which is kind of ludicrous? Nearly everything comes out on both platforms. Especially stuff that a low-info buyer would care about (which is literally no one on this board)- everything big is on both, sometimes with a small exclusivity window on one side or the other, but even that’s rare these days. To support this notion, you were going on about how Sony and Nintendo both had the most units sold, or made the most money in the Xmas season… while ignoring that both Sony and MS were literally selling as many consoles as they could get out. They are both still supply-constrained. “Xbox just isn’t popular! MS has been trying this so long, I don’t know why they bother!”, trying to imply that there’s just piles of unwanted Xboxen on the shelves. It’s bullshit. That’s why I make fun of you, and your arguments. Because engaging them at face value is a suckers game, and just legitmizes them. Ain’t got time for that nonsense.

TLDW Xbox is less accurate at blurays compared to PS5. PS5 much closer to reference but still not 100%. Issue with Xbox seems to be outputting 10 bit RGB instead of that YRCD or whatever it’s called 12 bit color space.

It’s mountains out of molehills. Unless you’re specifically drawn to Sony 1st party games there’s little difference between the consoles as, let’s say, consoles mostly playing Ubisoft games. Much of the loyalty between Sony vs MS vs Nintendo is locked in and there’s nothing anyone can do. Sony can’t draw the family/casual/Mario gamers that flock to Nintendo likes bears to honey, and Nintendo isn’t going to be grabbing that sweet Call of Duty money of the Xbox crowd. At least not without a whole sea change of brand loyalty.

Thanks for telling everyone you won’t argue in good faith. Makes it easy for me to block you. Good bye.