Multi-platform Game Comparisons - Console Wars Redux

All this naysaying about Demon’s Souls is making me uncomfortable. I just want to make clear that I’m on board with Series X being the better value console right now because of Game Pass, but I’m also on board with I’m really looking forward to playing the Demon’s Souls remake one day. (And I also think the other two exclusives look really good as well).

Why? It’s not a game for me. I don’t care to spend money or time on it. It’s not naysaying as in “it’s a bad game” in my case at least. It simply means it’s a non factor in the value proposition of the console.

We even have people who don’t like The Witcher 3, Skyrim or gasp Deus Ex on this board. Different strokes for different people. :)

What it means is that saying having a handful of exclusives objectively makes a console better than the one with GamePass is a stretch though.

It’s a game for everyone! Everyone!

Cyberpunk is really sounding like it’s gonna be better to wait a bit, console versions sound extra buggy. You mention AC, did you have a PS4 and play Ghost of Tsushima? That game is very AC, maybe more the pre-origin style but also was really quite excellent and IMO better than AC has been in a while and it runs 4k/60 on PS5 and is gorgeous. That game almost looked next gen already.

Nope. I’m aware of it and wouldn’t mind trying it but Covid.

My son has a PS4 Pro (can’t visit these days) and the 2 games of his I’ve really enjoyed spending time with are Horizon: Zero Dawn (so much so I have it on PC now) and Spiderman (I played less, but enough to know I would love more of it). Those are titles (well H:ZD2, Spiderman and any other of those cool Sony exclusives) which, unless they end up on PC, will eventually make me look at a PS5.

But it’s too early in the life cycle for that to have much practical value for me right now. GamePass is awesome value right now and always for me though.

Good call on Ghost though. It looks cool.

I just think it’s hilarious that Demon’s Souls is being held up as a must-play exclusive. I played it, what, 10 years ago? It was great. Playing a tweaked version with much (much) better graphics is something to get excited over, while updated Series X versions aren’t? OK, folks.

The series X versions are slight upgrades on last gen games. Demon’s Souls is a complete remake, and the most advanced graphical showcase on either platform.

That sure is a fancy way of saying “nope, you’re right, there’s actually (almost) nothing new on either console”.

No, your snark was just based on a false premise.

NPD for November is in. Sony has record console launch system revenue. Nintendo has continued leading the unit charts with Switch for a now record 24 months. Microsoft… launched a new console. Full list of things in this thread.

Notable… eleven of the top twenty November and five of the top ten YTD games are console exclusive. None of them are from Microsoft. In fact none of the Xbox top ten in Nov sales are from Microsoft. This is why they need exclusives to sell Xboxes and seem to be attempting to rectify that through continued acquisitions.

Are there any actual numbers in terms of hardware for PS/Xbox? They’re both sold out everywhere still, as far as I can tell.

We don’t get that stuff unless the console makers put them out, which usually happens around their fiscal quarter end and fiscal year end. It’s the best launch in console history in the USA so more than 2.1 million based on PS4’s launch which was the previous high water mark.

Yeah this is looking more at last gen than the current new gen but here’s the 10 highest selling games year to date, 5 are console exclusives, 3 Sony and 2 Nintendo.

Right, and for November alone, two of the top ten are Sony exclusive and Demon’s Souls, a true PS5 exclusive came in at number 10. Exclusives are powerful, and important to console sales.

Sure, and while I understand that yes, Sony has a couple of actual exclusives, MS has opted out of the sales contest completely via Game Pass. I’d be willing to bet that, with the possible exception of the next Elder Scrolls and Star field, MS won’t publish any ‘Top-Ten Selling’ game again, ever. They have a different metric now.

It’s certainly a strategy to disappear from the sales market entirely. Time will tell if that works out for them.

Each new console for MS probably has a fairly good chance of converting to a full priced Game Pass subscription. Still it is hard to parse the relative Sony vs. Microsoft balance here, though i still think MS has something of a “Call of Duty” halo … er (cough) … maybe stigma. Judging entirely on the tiny sample of random YouTubers my feed has bumped into it seems like most female and/or non-bro guys almost always gravitate to Sony first.

It’s certainly not so lopsided that one is sitting on the shelves unsold while the other the store can’t keep from flying off the shelves. Sales will probably be more about capacity than demand.

Sony consoles just have a more diverse catalog of games, so it makes sense that they attract a more diverse audience.

French sales numbers from the first week…

Why is this a big deal or news really? As others have mentioned both consoles are hard to get so both would have higher sales if there was actual stock in stores. Even so, does anyone really expect Microsoft to have more console sales then Sony or even be in the same ballpark? Further more, does it really matter? If you are a fan of the PS or the Xbox or heaven for bid both consoles, why do you care what the sales are? It’s not like because the PS5 sales more than Xbox that MS is going to stop making games for the Xbox or that somehow makes the Xbox not a good console.