Multi-platform Game Comparisons - Console Wars Redux

There’s no pre-order button at the site. Major oversight.

Maybe they will have a website where you input your KFC loyalty card number and they might send you a
pre-order link based on your past engagement and purchases with the brand.

But I’m a major influencer and it would be in their best interest to hook me up right away. In fact, I’m more than a tad offended they didn’t reach out to me before going live with this promo.

I’m considering a boycott.

We’ve reviewed your application in light of this new information, and determined that the market segment of Majors is just not large enough. Please contact us if you manage to expand your reach in the armed forces to more populous ranks

I’m booting up my PS5 less and less as my Series X takes precedence, but the experiences I’m having there feel entirely separate in the same way my Nintendo Wii did back in the day. The so-called console wars are truly dead and buried this generation.

https://twitter.com/digitaltrends/status/1345739235098320896?s=21

He’s a former employee of Fox News and also writes satire. His opinion is doubly meaningless.

I’m not sure which one you’re saying is the winner. The one you’re booting up less and less, or the one that feels like an entirely separate experience?

That’s a quote from the article to be clear.

I took his comment in the article as not saying the console war is over because one of the 2 consoles won the war, more that it’s over because both consoles serve a different purpose, a different experience, so there isn’t really a war this generation.

Well, it’s like i said before, Gamepass has more next-gen titles (though these are mostly last-gen upgrades) than the PS5 has at launch, and also, considerably less up front investment. Once you get over the Miles Morales / Dark Souls hump, there are actually slightly more “next gen” upgraded Xbox games than for the PS5.

For comparison’s sake i ended up getting a couple games on both the PS5 and Xbox Series S. Some observations:

The PS5 controller is more advanced but holy moly games should not make triggers harder to pull than they are on dumb controllers. I… have shot a few guns in my time, and not only isn’t it realistic, it makes shooting guns tiring in practice. It feels like a poorly thought out implementation. Things like bows, ect, might be better… but again, making something harder to do needs to interact with what the game expects of you. A game like Kingdom Come: Deliverance which purports to be “realistic” seems like the perfect use case - a game that expects you to pull the trigger like Neil Peart on steroids, isn’t.

OTOH, more modest uses feel substantially better than the Xbox controller. The “scout and see” mechanic in Fenix: Ubigame which uses controller feedback is significantly better with PS5 than Series S, which feels substandard by comparison. There are also graphical effects which make the PS5 pop which aren’t available for the little console.

The Xbox controller also feels like it’s more fragile, and i don’t expect it to last a year. The vibration motor already had a “speaker fry” moment, like the vibration frequency was pushed beyond it’s range and created a “too-high” rattle already a couple of times. But maybe worse, i can feel wear in the left stick as it scrapes agains the body of the controller when pushing forward. It already feels slightly rougher than the right stick. Thanks, push forward to play gameplay.

OTOH, the PS5 controller is tiring to use, and i expect this will begin to crop up more. There’s a lot more pressure in the sticks than any other previous controller… which helps with accuracy, but not these push forward to play long game sessions. Again, it feels like a good idea on paper but maybe not in practice.

Also, the PS5 controller is still a pain to charge… just like the PS4 controller was. Most ports don’t charge it, even when it’s on it doesn’t charge it… it seems like i have to have a peculiar set of circumstances (no game playing, in main menu screen, left on and not put into rest mode, ect) for it to properly charge the controller… or i just use my old external battery pack, just like i did with the PS4. Sigh. It’s so picky that only one of the two USB ports is able to charge it on both battery packs, oddly enough the “low power” port, not the higher amp output.

I bought the charging dock and it’s great as a solution for this. Sure, it costs extra, but well worth it to avoid charging frustration (and using up a USB port on the PS5).

I have tons of USB charging cables setup next to where I sit on the couch. I just use one of the USB-C ones there I also use for my Switch, phone and tablet. Charging directly from the console has never seemed very practical to me.

Still, I hope they change their minds and offer a controller that can take rechargeable batteries at some point. It can be an alternative to the main one, that way those of us who prefer that can pick that as an option. It doesn’t even have to be the free one they give away with every console, that way they’re guaranteed more money from the people who prefer that option.

Seriously. I just have a bank of AA and AAA Eneloops always ready for XB controllers and media remotes, and it’s so much more convenient. I detest having to remember to check my charge levels on the PS5 controller. These are, of course, first world problems.

There’s really nothing convenient about changing batteries or charging controllers. It’s a fact of life on either machine.

I do appreciate that I can have a USB cable right next to me on the sofa to plug into though. That’s as good as it gets.

Charging batteries is far more convenient, in my opinion.

I have a ton of Xbox controllers all over the house. I have at least 4 synced with my main Xbox One X in the living room on the big TV. I have 2 synced with my older Xbox Elite in a secondary room and an Elite controller connected to my PC. That allows the whole family to play together in the living room or me and my kid to play together in the secondary room. If I had to worry about keeping everything charged by rotating controllers on cables or making sure the family always docked them on a charging unit (which would never happen, lol) I would be pulling my hair out.

With the Xbox controllers my family can just pick up a controller, start playing or watching Netflix, then put it down without worrying about it and walk away. Any time one gets low or shuts off, I just grab a pair of Eneloop batteries from the wall charger, slap them in and get back to gaming. I never need to think about charge levels or worry about cables.

Yep. What Intuitionist said!

I’m currently using a 360 controller with my PC, an Xbox One controller with the Xbox One, a Series X controller with the series X, and an Xbox One Recon controller with the Apple TV for when I’m ready to check out Apple Arcade. If they’re ever low, I just swap out the eneloop batteries from the wall chargers. It’s much more convenient than my PS4 controller’s charging.

I think you guys are confusing “having a system” with being defacto more convenient. I never have to think about charging controllers. I have like 6 different charging cables in an organizer on the end table next to where I sit on the couch. No matter which controller I use, or what cable connector it takes, when I’m done using it, if I see the battery is starting to get low, I just plug it in. I find that infinitely more convenient that needing to fiddle with double AAs and a charger somewhere in my house. Just the act of opening a compartment on a controller makes it less convenient than my current solution.

I think for me, it means I never have to pay attention to charge level ever. If it dies, the very same controller is back up and running in moments. I understand what you’re saying, and you’re right - it’s about what we’re used to. I’ve only got the one DualSense, though, so it’s a pain when it’s dying/dies.