Multiplayer game recommendations

I enjoy mmogs, but the current crop is disappointing. I’ve heard the exp grind to level in Lineage 2 is horrible. I’m terribly bored with CoH. Are Anarchy Online or SWG worth trying?

I’m also interested in BF: Vietnam. It received some iffy reviews though compared to UT2K4. Anyone playing BFV that can compare the gameplay to UT2k4? Currently, I’ve given up on UT2K4 mainly due to its lack of realism in favor of playing Call of Duty mutliplayer.

daoc 1.7 comes out on tuesday if you’ve got a jones for PvP.

You’re not going to find realism in any MMO, (though some people swear to WW2Online). BF:V has realistic weapons, but isn’t realistic in the least.

BF:V’s pretty fun, though. A refreshing change of pace from UT2k4. Really the only thing UT2k4 and it have in common is that they’re multiplayer. Other than that, they’re completely different.

Call of Duty for example is much more realistic than UT2k4. Is BF:V more similar to CoD than UT? I think what has me worried are the vehicles in BFV. In UT2k4, you’re nothing without a vehicle. It takes forever to cross the maps on foot and you’ll just promptly get smashed by a vehicle. CoD puts all the emphasis on infantry as there are no vehicles. In CoD, I feel like I’m in a war. In UT2k4, I feel more like I’m in a circus.

How about Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow? How is the multiplayer? I will get bored of the single player game all too quickly. Is the multi-player good enough to make it worth buying?

BF: V is alot of fun, I like it much more than UT2004. But they are very different games. Even

If you’ve never played BF 1942 then I’d recommend that over BF:V just for the mods. Get 1942 and install Desert Combat, that Star Wars mod Galactic Conquest and the Forgotten Hope mod.

I thought about trying BF 1942, but supposedly the graphics are looking a bit dated. I’m not looking for Farcry graphics, but something similar to Call of Duty would be nice. Do you think BF1942’s graphics can stand up to that comparisom?

Try BF1942 multiplayer for free - find the demo packs for the original and for the secret weapons exp. pack - both of those are great multiplayer maps, even with the asshats on the free servers.

Not sure if BF:V also has a demo, but that’s worth investigating.

And yes, DAoC v1.70 will be a brand new (RvR) game in a week. And, there’s also a 7 day free trial on that.

-Walt

Yes 1942’s graphics still stand up well. Tryout the multiplayer demo, while it is old and they have improved the game alot through patches the graphics are pretty much the same.

Just check out some screenshots of Desert Combat.

http://www.desertcombat.com/?page=screenshots

I tried DAoC about 6 months ago. I generally liked the gameplay, but it was very hard to find anyone to group with. That game is getting well along on its life cycle. Most of the people playing are doing the endgame things like RvR from what observed.

Not to be an l337 d00d, but that’s just a factor of your complete lack of experience with UT2k4. Chances are you got run over by a Manta (those fast hovercraft). ONE SHOT of your AVRIL (which is freaking homing, so you just have to keep your reticle on them, or hold down the right mouse button) will take those out. That or you got run over by a Scorpion, the low-riding buggies–they’re extremely easy to flip with a shock rifle, or an AVRIL shot tends to discourage them from trying to run you down. And if they do try to anyway, just dodge, they’re easy to evade.

If you’re new to a game, expect to suck at it. In BF:V, you’re going to get PWND until you wisen up to what the hell’s going on (and until you figure out that no, you can’t kill helicopters with your rifle, and yes, their rockets instantly kill you).

Frankly I think you gave up too quick on UT2k4. The more I play BF:V and UT2k4, the more I realize that UT2k4 is the deeper, more satisfying game. Sure, if you MUST have “realism,” you’ll hate UT2k4 (unless you get the Red Orchestra mod). But if you can open your mind a little and get over the need to “hold” an AK-47 instead of a Pulse Rifle, you’ll find UT2k4 really is a fantastic game.

Oh, and the Battlefield games are magnets for the utter scum of the internet. Good luck finding a game with a population of less than 50% braindead shiteaters. Teamkillers, plane campers, spawn campers, vehicle whores… god… it’s hell.

Come Tuesday, RvR will be available for all characters from levels 1 to 50. I daresay most people who aren’t getting powerleveled are going to get most of their levels that way rather than from PvE.

Well I must admit that I gave up on UT2k4 with probably only around 30 matches under my belt. I realize that there are ways of destroying vehicles. Perhaps some of my distaste for the game lies more in that I was playing on random servers with largely disorganized groups of kids probably. I basically continue to do that with Call of Duty, but as the emphasis there is more on one individual killing another and not on capturing strategic points, I can excel even if my team doesn’t. I don’t have to lament that some “noob” took the leviathan and drove it to the wrong end of the map in CoD.

Heck yeah. I think single player SCPT is boring, but the multi is so fun I don’t care!

Pandora Tomorrow is excellent on SP and MP.

You can play the multiplayer demo which really gives you the idea of the full game. I hihgly recommend the MP demo.

-Shiroko

You know, it’s funny you should ask. It makes me wonder why people here never talked about those games before, ever. If we had, you might be able to do a search and look for your own goddamned self, right? Surely one of us has attempted to compare the gameplay of a deathmatch game set in an improbable future to a large scale team game set in our own history. You know, for whatever reason. Hypotheticals of how rabbit holes would’ve been easier to clear with a snot gun and whatnot.

Come Tuesday, RvR will be available for all characters from levels 1 to 50. I daresay most people who aren’t getting powerleveled are going to get most of their levels that way rather than from PvE.[/quote]

Misleading much? The BG’s are nothing like RvR. That said, they are usually better, from a class/character equipment balance perspective.

Come Tuesday, RvR will be available for all characters from levels 1 to 50. I daresay most people who aren’t getting powerleveled are going to get most of their levels that way rather than from PvE.[/quote]

Misleading much? The BG’s are nothing like RvR. That said, they are usually better, from a class/character equipment balance perspective.[/quote]Can’t you take your lowbie character out into the frontiers to get killed whenever you want? Yeah, I was talking about the BGs, but it’s an academic distinction to someone who’s not already into the game.

Not to be an l337 d00d, but that’s just a factor of your complete lack of experience with UT2k4. Chances are you got run over by a Manta (those fast hovercraft). ONE SHOT of your AVRIL (which is freaking homing, so you just have to keep your reticle on them, or hold down the right mouse button) will take those out. That or you got run over by a Scorpion, the low-riding buggies–they’re extremely easy to flip with a shock rifle, or an AVRIL shot tends to discourage them from trying to run you down. And if they do try to anyway, just dodge, they’re easy to evade.

If you’re new to a game, expect to suck at it. In BF:V, you’re going to get PWND until you wisen up to what the hell’s going on (and until you figure out that no, you can’t kill helicopters with your rifle, and yes, their rockets instantly kill you).

Frankly I think you gave up too quick on UT2k4. The more I play BF:V and UT2k4, the more I realize that UT2k4 is the deeper, more satisfying game. Sure, if you MUST have “realism,” you’ll hate UT2k4 (unless you get the Red Orchestra mod). But if you can open your mind a little and get over the need to “hold” an AK-47 instead of a Pulse Rifle, you’ll find UT2k4 really is a fantastic game.[/quote]

Hitting a good Manta pilot with a Avril is not a high-probability event. If you get some guy coming at you in a straight line you can pull it off but only because they are incompetant. What you really want to use is the Shock Rifle since it disrupts their momentum. After one hit they are stationary and you can finish them off since they are now moving really slowly. The rifle has the same effect on other vehicles, though not so dramatically.

And don’t forget that since you can teleport between nodes you should never really be walking (unless all your nodes are taken). You can tlele from the home base by jumping on the power node.