Multiplayer game recommendations

multiplayer game recommendation:

Quake III: Freeze Tag

Come Tuesday, RvR will be available for all characters from levels 1 to 50. I daresay most people who aren’t getting powerleveled are going to get most of their levels that way rather than from PvE.[/quote]

Misleading much? The BG’s are nothing like RvR. That said, they are usually better, from a class/character equipment balance perspective.[/quote]Can’t you take your lowbie character out into the frontiers to get killed whenever you want? Yeah, I was talking about the BGs, but it’s an academic distinction to someone who’s not already into the game.[/quote]

Well, sort of:

New Grouping Level Range Changes

With 1.70, we are relaxing the rules that govern the level ranges that can effectively group together. The intent of this new system is to allow lower-level players to group with substantially higher-level group leaders, and enable them to make some contribution to combat and spellcasting.

The system works as follows:

• Whenever a low-level character (5th level or higher) joins a group led by a higher level character, they are temporarily adjusted so that they can hit and land spells on monsters of the range that are normally fought by the group leader. They will be able to hit, and also to do damage to these monsters.

• This adjustment kicks in when a player approximately 90% of the level of the group leader or less joins a group. This means that if anyone less than 17th level joins a group led by a 20th level group leader, their to-hit and damage are boosted up so that they can hit and damage monsters that are commonly fought by a 20th level group. Also, while grouped, they will take less damage per hit from high level monsters.

• This system does not affect items such as weapons or armor - only to-hit and damage, and to some extent, damage taken is affected.

• Lower level group members must be within 3000 units of the group leader in order to receive the bonus.

• Experience gained by the lower level character is the same as it currently is on the live servers when lower level characters are grouped with their higher level friends.

With 1.70, you have this option, as well. I haven’t played much with it in RvR, myself, so not sure how effective it would be, but it does close the gap some.

-Walt

Walt, I don’t work for mythic or anything, but I figured that sideckicking business was only for PvE. Doesn’t quite seem fair for RvR.

There’s a ton of interesting stuff going on right now with “UT 2004”. Even if you’re not into the included gametypes like Onslaught / Assault / CTF, etc, there’s a lot to choose from in terms of mods. Red Orchestra’s a pretty cool WWII mod, there are some nice updates of Jailbreak and Chaos, and then there are “different” games like Deathball, Carball, and Air Buccaneers. Alien Swarm may be the most interesting of the bunch – a top-down, co-op tactical mod. The bottom line is that you could buy UT 2004 and be digging through various mods for months.

And what’s the deal with people calling it “UT2K4”? Is the extra digit involved with typing “UT 2004” really too much work? :-)

UT2K4
Has one fewer syllable;
Better for haiku

• Alan

There are more modes to UT2k4 than Onslaught… :D

If they’re trying to run you down, they will be moving in a straight line at you, most of the time. AVRIL 'em. 85% of the time, it’s one shot, one kill.

The shock rifle is great against Mantas if you’re perpendicular to their movement. Otherwise I’d go with the AVRIL any day.

And you teleport between nodes by standing on one and “using” it (usally the E key, I think).

You should really check out the Red Orchestra mod for UT2k4. I gave up on it because it’s too dang realistic for me.

Sadly, not many people play some of them (the ones that are played are great too, but it would be good to see more people in the less played modes).

Sadly, not many people play some of them (the ones that are played are great too, but it would be good to see more people in the less played modes).[/quote]That’s true… OTOH, the people that DO play the underpopulated ones generally seem to be a notch above the morons you’ll find in ONS.

BF:V is good fun. No you don’t need a vehicle, matter of fact I rarely use them. Ground pounder all the way.

UT2K4-I actually play every mode EXCEPT ONS. Can’t stand it, don’t know why, guess I like the capture point idea in BF:V than follow the lines.

BF:1942- graphics are fine.

Other MP fun- Homeworld 2-hyperspace arena map, it can take days to finish a match on this map.

Try out the Joint Ops demo. Surprisingly, it’s actually sort of enjoyable. Disappointingly, it has nothing to do with hashish.

I remember playing the assault mission types also on UT2004 (happy?). The space themed one in particular was hella lame. The space fighter’s limited maneuverability really soured me on that one. The train assault seemed to give me more lag than usual, but was otherwise decent. Admittedly, I could have hit a bad streak of laggy servers while I was trying it. Onslaught was by far my favorite type of match. I like the idea of team based play and even the team coordination through mics etc. That stuff didn’t really happen though on the servers I was playing on.