Multiple-minute hangs of Win7 x64 for the last month or so

Hello all, this is a real puzzler: My Windows 7 x64 machine (I built the core of it myself about 5 years ago, then “half-refreshed” it in Spring 2015 with an SSD, a new PSU, case and video card), for about the last month, has occasionally just become totally unresponsive (apart from registering mouse movement) on about 3 or 4 occasions (often after coming back from sleep or reboot). A couple of times I just let it sit there and went off to do something else, and it came back to functionality on its own.

I suspect that it’s either driver related OR that there may suddenly be a conflict between the real-time protection functionalities of Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Pro <–just updated the latter to 3.0x yesterday so we’ll see if the problem continues. The reason I suspect those things (drivers or the possible conflict) is that when I manage to boot into Safe Mode*, “everything is awesome” as the Lego movie song goes (the real-time protection components of both MSE and MwB are also disabled in Safe Mode).

Has anyone else been seeing this with Windows 7 (especially if running MSE and Malwarebytes Pro/Premium)? I’m building a new machine soon, but in the meantime I’d really like to figure out what’s going on with this one.

*BTW, what’s the surefire way to boot into safe mode with Windows 7? The F8 key spam on boot doesn’t seem to work anymore (maybe because my OS is now on an SSD).

Hah, I’ve been having the same issue for the last week. It started a month ago every time I downloaded a file and IE did “running security scan.” Just ignored it since I didn’t have time to debug and had other ways to get files. Now it sometimes happens randomly.

From Google I found a Windows update from 2015 that fixed a similar issue, but I already had it installed.

What’s the standard procedure when the PC works in safe mode but not otherwise? Slowly re-enable programs and services in msconfig until you find the bad one?

For both of you it would be good to go to Start and search for Event Viewer (I don’t remember the direct path since you should be able to type it in).

In that click on Windows -> System and Windows -> Application and look for error messages. That will probably give you a good hint, or at least something to maybe google for.

I have seen windows hang when disks were dying, cause it would try incessantly to access disk sectors while failing. That will definitely show up in the system log.

I had checked Event Viewer before, but I don’t think I looked at the application tab for some reason, and I don’t think I paid attention to the informational messages.

Every time I tried to download something (and then sat through the 2-3 minute hang) it would spit out a few informational events about Microsoft Security Essentials.

[quote]Fault bucket 3159592493, type 29
Event Name: MpTelemetry
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft Security Essentials (EDB4FA23-53B8-4AFA-8C5D-99752CCA7094)
P2: 4.10.209.0
P3: TimeOut
P4: 1.1.13303.0
P5: fixed
P6: 4 / 2049+
P7: 5 / not boot
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
D:\Temp\MPInstrumentation\client_manifest.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_Microsoft Securi_68f51ac3dfe7a67c8a79e06cf02d5420901c6ed_cab_0dc6e01b

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: d4488b4a-cea1-11e6-818a-6c626d3d12b3
Report Status: 0[/quote]
I disabled MSE real-time protection and now I can download files. I assume this will fix the occasional random lockups too.

I uninstalled MSE using Add and Remove Programs, then re-installed it from Microsoft. Real-time protection seems to be back on, and Windows no longer hangs when I download files. I’ll report back if it pops up again.

I don’t have any other real-time virus protection as far as I know. The installer mentions that you should uninstall other virus scanners before installing MSE. So if reinstalling doesn’t work for you, Papageno, then maybe there’s a conflict.

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to completely uninstall MSE and re-install it. Thanks for replies, guys. I looked at the Event Viewer but couldn’t make out any obvious culprits.

Actually, to update: for the time being I’ve decided to uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0.5 Premium. I want to see if the occasional hangs just go away till further notice. If they don’t, I know it’s not to blame.

Looks like this is acting up again. I might just disable MSE real-time protection and buy another real-time scanner. I don’t have the time to diagnose this.

I do want to say it happened around the time I installed some Samsung phone backup shit called KIES. I saw on the Internet that it also installs some media/file scanner. Supposedly I uninstalled it, but who knows.

FWIW, I haven’t had any hangs at all since I uninstalled Malwarebytes.

This appears to be the solution:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2650097--malwarebytes-and-microsoft-security-essentials-conflicts?b_id=6401