Music that inexplicably exists on your “What’s that playing in the background” list

Interestingness implied.

Whichever music identification app you use, it probably keeps a history. My methodology works something like this.
1). Hear interesting music
2). Use app to identify music
3). Get distracted
4). Browse through the list weeks/months later on a slow day
5). Wonder if the app is playing tricks on you or your memory is really that bad.

Some examples:

I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen Death Rides a Horse, yet here we are. Not complaining, I’m a big Morricone fan

And then there’s this:

And that is totally out of my wheelhouse. Complete mystery as why I recorded it. Though if they have that playing during a church service, I’d consider attending.

So what strange mysteries lurk in your list?

I think I’ve got one - I keep seeing this commercial for the Samsung Galaxy and it’s got this hypnotic song that’s really dug into my brain. Apparently, it’s a song called Thunderclouds by LSD.

It counts. I discovered Lord Huron that way, with some commercial playing a bit of _ Ends of the Earth_ until I finally set the app to the task.

At least I remember how that one made the list. But this:

No effing clue

I hardly ever launch Shazam (I am old school and try to look up a song based on what I can make of its lyrics most of the time), and this thread made me want to check it today. I have no clue what any of the tracks there are: bunch of hip-hop, a couple of folk songs… The stuff I almost never listen to in my life, even by mistake. This is unsettling.

Not background. But this turned me on to Wax Fang.

Started me down a Kathy McCarty -> Daniel Johnston rabbit hole.

This song played after a story segment on NPR the other day. It was a story about President Obama returning to the campaign trail. Pretty standard stuff. And then the two Morning Edition hosts were just talking to each other for half a minute while this music played in the background, giving the whole thing a very surreal feel that you normally never feel on Morning Edition.

Anyway, I had to look it up later that day to find out what the heck the piece of music was. It turns out to be a U2 track from Joshua Tree Deluxe edition. And according to youtube comments, it was used in Miami Vice, where it seems like it would be a perfect fit.

I don’t think I’ve heard that track before, and I thought I had just about all of their early stuff. Thanks for posting it.

It seems closer to Rattle and Hum than Joshua Tree

I’d guess I heard this in a reception area. Or a Mexican restaurant that was trying a little too hard.