Must.. have.. Guitar.. Hero.. II

I’m curious if he meant that literally or as hyperbole, because I see no evidence to support it. Bark at the Moon’s rankings on scorehero show the top scorer as having hit 98%, and they drop to 95% quickly after that.

The solos are already ridiculous, but there’s a dense mass of notes at the end of the first solo that I doubt anyone will ever full combo. Until someone releases a patch to play it in the Guitar Hero 2 engine, anyways.

Wow, I hadn’t seen that site before. Cool stuff.

I think my best BATM effort was around 95% / 260k, which these guys just crush.

Ive seen a video of a guy who hit 100. Ill try to find it and get it up here.

i don’t know about 100% but i read one of the red octane guys could 5 star it…

…with his back to the screen.

Hey, how many units of version one did they sell?

Yay, I can finally talk about this. :)

I’ve been playing this for the last week for my review (which went up earlier tonight), and I can’t possibly say enough good things about GH2. It’s better than GH1 in every conceivable way. The practice mode, co-op play, the expanded stats screen, widescreen + progressive scan support … it’ll be impossible to ever go back to GH1 now.

I generally avoid linking my own stuff here, but because I know there’s a sizable GH fanbase here, here’s my review, as well as some rankings of the tunes (hardest to play, best co-op tunes, etc).

(Or, if you have some philosophical objection to clicking on links, I can just field questions.) :)

Also, because I can’t resist, my current scores on Expert:

I think that’s a real testament to how hard Jordan is.

I haven’t posted about this yet, but I have been, as they say, jonesing for this game pretty hard recently. I put in my preorder at Gamestop a while back, so I feel okay about going in and playing a couple of songs on their demo copy every couple of days. On Friday, though, my parents took my daughter for a week, so I actually went in and played for almost an hour. I felt like kind of a dick, but it was the only way to keep myself from driving to all the WalMarts and Targets around here to look for street-breaking copies.

I’m excited about Tuesday.

I had a GH2 party last night so we could spend a few more hours testing out the multiplayer stuff, and showed everyone what Jordan looked like on Expert. A friend of mine jokingly said the solo looked like it was created by a random number generator. :)

Can’t wait to play “Them Bones”.

“Yeah!”

I’ve been dropping by Circuit City every couple days and going through Trippin’ On A Hole a few times in each visit. I’m totally psyched.

My local Coconuts had it on Friday, so I spent the weekend in blissful Guitar Heaven. Here are some thoughts:

• Coming from a less accomplished perspective (I’m only about halfway through Hard in GH), GH2 is harder earlier than the original. I blew through the medium campaign fairly easily, but I could tell that if I hadn’t already done the same in GH, songs like third-from-the-top Surrender would have been much more difficult. I’m thinking specifically of the single note/chord back and forth in the main verses. Crossroads prepared me for that; meanwhile, my girlfriend, who isn’t as wild about Clapton, is having more trouble with Surrender.

• The Pro Face Off is an excellent addition and is sure to quell some debates in my household. Now if only we could get it for the original game.

• Different strokes and all that, but I like less of the songs this time around. Many of the tunes were unfamiliar in GH, but I soon grew to love them. Not so much in the sequel. I don’t want to be the “Your favorite song sucks” guy, but I will say that I was especially disappointed by the Stones and Aerosmith selections.

• I also am less enamored of the devils and zombies motif for the menu art. The first game had no shortage of skulls, true, but it was more eclectic.

• I knew the Practice Mode would be great, but also being able to access the advanced stats on each song to chart your weaknesses is a godsend.

• Doesn’t GH2 use the original recording for Stop, too? It’s got the same “as performed by” tag as John the Fisherman. If it’s a recreation, it’s the best I’ve ever heard.

• All the new modes are awesome, but my award for Favorite Tweak goes to not having to sit through the entire intro “cutscene” whenever you restart a song.

In short, it’s as great as ever. Here’s hoping the Xbox 360 version with its downloadable tunes will address my personal disappointment with the song selection.

I wonder if Wal-Mart will sell them at midnight.

Didn’t the original also have pencil art all over the set list?

It’s the original recording.

I guess they wanted to make up somewhat for the first halves of Freebird and Hangar 18. In principle, that change is excellent. In practice, it only really bothered me when I was restarting Cowboys From Hell every fifteen seconds, and practice mode fixes that problem better.

Here’s the thing: it’s missing some vocal harmonies in some spots, as well as the Spanish spoken-word intro, which led me to believe it was a cover version. Maybe it’s a radio version or remixed for GH2?

I don’t know the song, I’m just going by the official word.

All the original recordings are remixed to some extent, to boost the guitar and bass parts. I can see them ditching a guitar-free intro; the intro to “Cheat on the Church” was annoying from a gameplay perspective. Can’t imagine why they’d leave out the vocal harmonies though, in either a radio edit or GH2.

Wall Street Journal had an article about guitar hero today. Apparently many professional rock musicians play it obsessively.

I’m pretty sure that every single song on GH1 and GH2 are covers. They had to for reasons of making it work flawlessly with the game.

I just picked up the original Guitar Hero, and I have to say, my favorite song is Cavemen Rejoice. Looking forward to the second one coming out so I can shred my friends face off.

Erik J.

Heh, I loved “Caveman Rejoice.” It wasn’t a particularly hard song, but anytime we had some kind of party with Guitar Hero about, we’d end up playing that song, if for no other reason than to sing, “cavemen, now that we are a team, we’ll attack those other cavemen across the stream.”

Now, it’s all about “Trogdor.” I almost peed myself when I heard the end of the song. :)