My cat's decided it's better to poop on the carpet instead of in the litter box :(

I’d be so happy if this was what’s going on with my cat. I’ll keep trying to fix what’s wrong. I wish I was stronger so I could deep clean my carpet.

We use a Bissell Pet Spot carpet cleaner from this review. We have a high end steam type carpet cleaner, one rated higher than the ones you can rent at Ace, etc. but I think this does a better job for pet stains, plus you just put it over the spot, push a button, and it goes to work.

My cats poop is pretty dry. Can’t you just throw a wet paper towel over it? That works on cat puke as long as it’s fresh. Get it wet, let it soak for 10 minutes then press dry paper towels on top and let them sit.

When it’s on the floor? We just scoop it up into a paper towel. But it stains our beautiful white, plush carpet pretty bad and the smell just sets in deep for some reason.

Carpet cleaner I guess? I know I really need to invest in the spot cleaner @JeffL posted. Probably worth the money for a cat owner.

Half my problems are my spider plant. Those things are like crack for cats, but their stomachs can’t handle it.

JP I’ll admit that I’m a bit surprised that you even own a cat.

I love cats :)

Incidentally, if anyone needs a stain remover, this is probably the best product you’ve never heard of.

It’s what we use. Seems to work well.

I recommend getting another litter box and put it somewhere else in the house.

Don’t get rid of the first one, just have 2. Cats tend to prefer having more than one box for some reason.

It may result in her using the other one for pooping.

Your cat is only 8, but I thought I’d mention this anyway.

When my previous cat was elderly (he lived to 19), his kidneys started to shut down. He became dehydrated, resulting in his poop getting very dry. And he would become constipated. At that point, it became painful for him to poop, so, not knowing what else to do, he did the only thing he had any control over, which was try a different spot.

Anyway, we managed to get him back into the box (for a while) by using special ultra-wet cat food from the vet, and eventually I had to give him subcutaneous fluid injections. After that, I had him put down, as he was simply miserable.

All that to say: If nothing else works, please check with your vet. My vet has been an invaluable source of information about my cat.

Have you looked to see if it’s trying to write something?

My cat brought me yesterday night a fairly big spider and left it dead on the carpet, when I was playing Demons Souls. I was avoiding the spider boss for a while, thanks, cat for reminding me!

So you are saying your cat is a better gamer than you?

yes45