My Cat's turn

Joe, might be time to go to the pound and give a cute inmate a home…

Hi Joe,

I’ve had a couple/few cats of one sort or another trampling under my feet all of my life and it never gets any easier saying goodbye to them, that’s for sure. I know it’s going to take a while before you can even look at another pet, but eventually, like MS said, you may want to adopt another kitty. My next door neighbor’s cat passed on from diabetes earlier this year, and after a few months of living alone, she decided to adopt another cat from a local shelter. She and Lollipop are getting along quite well by all accounts, and I think it has helped her deal with losing her previous cat, Molly.

Yeah, in a few months I’ll start looking. Not now, though. It’s still too wierd to come home and not have her run to the door to say hello. I’ve always had cats and/or dogs, so I’ve been here before. I actually did think about getting another cat a few months back when this all started, but the vet advised me that this could cause extra stress on Maeve, and that just wouldn’t do with her health declining.

Maeve was one of life’s serendipitous moments. I was actually looking for a cat, and poof! A great cat, already spayed and declawed and friendly as can be shows up on my door, desperate for a home. I had her for nearly five years, the vet thinks she was about 5-ish when she showed up and adopted me. She was this teeny (8.5 lbs) bug-eyed thing, always looking at me with those owl eyes, and always ready for a little quality time crashed out on my legs while I pecked away on the keyboard. Not a bitchy cat, and she never forgot her ordeal outside, so she was always affectionate and low-maintenance. Probably the best cat I’ve ever had, really, which is why I feel so bad now. Though really, who am I fooling? It always sucks when this happens.

Thanks again, all.