My Computer is Haunted!

Because it happens so infrequently for me though I can’t run tests on it like you can.

However, reading through the suggestions gives me an idea.
Maybe it is not RFID, it is Bluetooth!
My speakers are blue tooth enabled and so is my phone.

I don’t know why it only gives the disconnect sound rarely though. That would mean it auto connects sometimes and not others.

But if you can confirm that you have bluetooth speakers and perhaps something in your pockets that is bluetooth enabled, that may be the solution!

Your phone maybe auto connecting to the speakers, but disconnecting when you move away.

Please let me know if you find anything. I am getting paranoid worrying that someone is watching me through my PC camera and getting bored and disconnecting when I get up.

I’m having the same issue as the two others above. I too was searching the web and found this forum. It’s the strangest thing. I don’t have to walk away, I can just stand up for this to happen.

It started happening to me this month as well. Same as the original post. I just figure it’s got something to do with my power level. See, I had a power supply that was perfect for all the things I was using in my computer. And then last month, I added another hard drive. And ever since then I’d had these mysterious USB connecting/disconnecting beeps that chime in when I stand up to leave. I have no idea why it happens when I stand, maybe a wire gets moved, and my keyboard or mouse or controller is getting disconnected, even though all 3 are lit up just fine? I don’t know. But it’s definitely power related, since it never happened before I plugged in this latest hard drive.

That’s interesting, I don’t remember what I’ve done differently for this to start happening, but I do have 2 external hard drives plugged into my PC. Maybe I should unplug them both and test.

Are they USB 3 or 2?

A lot of hard drives cheat and draw more power from the USB port they are supposed to. Probably worse when it’s an unpowered hub.

I plugged my phone into an unpowered hub and it caused my wifi adapter to not work for a while.

Hi. I only created an account to post to this thread. My dad was having the same situation when he would stand up. Oddly it almost never dinged when I sat in the chair and stood up. Because he is much larger than I am, we wondered if it had to do with either his weight triggering an electrical short in a weak wire, or somehow his larger mass had a larger static field.

After hours of experimenting, and at least fifty tests, we narrowed it down to this:

• If the mouse cord was unplugged, it never chimed
  • The closer the cord was to us, the more likely it was to chime.
  • When we stood up, if our leg touched the metal of the chair, it chimed.
  • If instead of sitting down, I rubbed the chair cushion, then touched the metal, I would get a static shock and it would chime.
  • If I rubbed the chair and touched the mouse cord, it did not chime.
  • If the cord was far away from the chair when I made a spark, it wouldn’t pick it up.
  • And most oddly, if I held a conducive object, such as a metal ruler, rubbed the chair to create a static charge, then discharged it onto the metal chair, it would not chime.

Having ruled out the camera, wifi, or some form of being spied on, we ended our experiments.

Our conclusion is a static buildup and discharge near a USB cord can create a magnetic field. The field induces a current in the cord, triggering the chime. I don’t know why it doesn’t happen with a highly conducive material. But I suspect the reason people begin noticing it after some time has to do with humidity, and that there tend to be more static buildup in the drier winter air.

We had fun both experimenting and reading this thread. Thanks to everyone, and I hope this helps.

And here I was banking on aliens.

I mean, isn’t induction literally spooky action at a distance?

This SAME thing happens to me. I have an old Windows 7, and I use it downstairs on my couch. Everytime I get off the couch to go upstairs, (the computer is set on a little make shift piano chair desk in front of me) it beeps at me. I started researching for an answer but I found nothing useful.

Today same thing happened to me. Every time when I stand up, so no contact with the desk or any devices, the computer makes a chiming sound. I tought it was my camera detecting movement so I unplugged it. Notning changed, it was still making a sound. Than I decided to record the event with OBS studio. I made few recordings of my screen, sound, camera plugged and without camera. I also installed USBDeview software which should record if any new USB device appears. On one of the recordings at the moment of computer chiming as I stood up a WPM USB HID device showed up on the USBDeview and it dissapeared. It happened so fast that I had to use After Effects in order to see that one frame. The spooky part is that it happenes without camera or any other sensor connected to my desktop. Only when I am standing up from the chair like I want to leave the table and no other movement like, typing, hitting the table, moving the chair would trigger it. I have done some google fu and all I could find is this website.

I have been having the same weird issue. I could be leaning in my chair for an hour not touching anything, but the moment I get up from my chair it makes that noise you described.
This is my work computer, only thing I have noticed is that when it happens most is when I have chrome cast active. I am about to see if I can recreate it when chrome cast is not active.

I like to think people find this thread when they Google ‘my computer is haunted.’

Here’s a two-step temporary workaround:

1. Assemble plenty of supplies and a bedpan within reach of your computer chair.
  2. Don’t stand up.

I have never suffered a disconnection from my computer, so I know this is effective.

Haunted computers don’t actually exist. The symptoms are actually caused by haunted monitors. Drilling holes in them will allow the ghosts to escape. Problem solved!

If you drill holes into the right place you can disable the spyware, DM me for details I won’t post in public

edit: bah post above removed. no fun.

And please use a font larger than 18 points, so none of the words get obscured by these holes…