My Dad needs a laptop with more normal keys (close to full size) - suggestions?

He’s very sick and can’t mobilize to the computer which is in a room beyond stairs so my Mom wants to get him a laptop. But he would have a hard time with most laptop keyboards with them being smaller or not have much key travel.

Out of the big manufacturers - do any of you have a suggestion as to where I should be looking? He’ll be using it mostly for e-mail and light duty stuff. I did suggest a tablet to my Mom, but she said he hates touch screen stuff.

Thanks!

This is a very hot button, highly charged political topic, indeed! :)

A quick Google search for “laptops with full-sized keyboards” yielded this result:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/laptops-with-full-size-keyboard

Oops! Haha, didn’t even notice I was in wrong forum. Will switch it.

The problem with a lot of those keyboards is the keys are minimum travel. I’d like to find one that has more travel on the keys as his shaky hands will have trouble sliding across. He is forced to mostly sit in a living room chair now :( having an external keyboard is not an option either.

Yeah, that’s going to be an issue with laptops in general as that’s a feature for most users (allowing for a lower profile). I’d think a mechanical keyboard laptop would likely be the best way to make sure there’s some depth to the movement, and that would help you narrow down the search.

Laptop that folds like this:

Or this:
c04957009

Plus a usb or wireless mechanical keyboard maybe?

Edit: they’re called 2-in-1 laptops

Lenovo gets tons of praise for their full-size keyboards with old-school key depth.

Does he need a laptop? I’ve had good success with a fanless miniPC, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Great for email, Netflix, browsing, and Office type apps. The main drawback is that it’s not going to be cheaper then a low end laptop unless you have the monitor and keyboard around already.

Has to be able to work on his lap in a chair.

Awesome I’ll look into them!