My hands are cold

Working from home full-time in an old house in Minnesota is going to suck this winter. My hands and wrists are already often way too cold, which aggravates the RSI issues I already suffer from.

Anyone have any go-to strategies? I know I’m not the first or only person to deal with this.

I’ma find some nice loose fingerless or short-fingered gloves, I think, but dear god they’re all marketed toward women which whatever, but almost certainly means my beefy mitts will be too damn big to be comfortable.

Nuking a rice pad and using that as a warmed wrist rest seems to be a decent help. Trying that out today and it’s definitely better than without it.

Get a solid pair of fingered gloves and cut the tips off? I did that when I was working outdoors.

I’d suggest silk glove liners, and cut the fingertips off those. They’re super thin so you won’t get overheated.

You could also get a little electric heater and point the fan at your hands. They’re cheap.

One year I bought my wife and myself fingerless gloves that plugged into a USB port and had heaters in them. There is no moderating the heater though so it would often get the back of your hand super hot. I recommend avoiding those.

Incidentally, since I have lost so much weight following the keto diet my hands and feet (and often my nose) are cold a LOT,

This was my approach when sitting out in an open-topped observatory in mid-January. It works pretty well.

I bought some fingerless gloves a while back for work and then people called me a street urchin. It was fun.

Better than a sea urchin.

I got in an iron maiden and closed it and now I’m an inverse sea urchin.

A pair of bicycle gloves for cold weather may do the trick. You would have to research if any are thin enough at the tips to be able to type etc.

The name of my new ska band.

Sometimes I have found that keeping the core of my body warm helps keep my hands warm. Try wearing a stocking cap. Try a vest or a flannel, or some extra layers.

So my friend got these:

Because I kind of made fun of her and may have hinted at not buying random unnamed things from China I never did get the name of what they are, but knowing her, these USB warmers must be from Amazon.

Do you have Raynaud’s Syndrome?

Not that I’m aware of.

Get some compression gloves for RSI or gloves designed to increase circulation. They make fingerless ones.

You might want to consider performing hand strengthening exercises. That will give you two benefits, in that it will help strengthen your hands which will reduce the effects of RSI, while also improving circulation which will make your hands not feel cold.

Plus, when Covid is over, you can crush the hands of other, lesser men when you shake.

I deal with this in our old house and the easy solution was to buy an electric space heater, close the office door, and warm up just the room so my hands get nice and toasty.

Is your office/workspace enclosed enough that you could just heat that part of the house?

Nope, I’m basically fucked.

What he needs, though, is to strengthen the muscles that open the hand, not close it. I recommend Flextend for this.