My LCD is dying...help?

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 204B I got about a year and a half ago. I think it’s dying, or some part is. Basically, if it is off but the power cord is plugged in, it emits a high pitch whine. This only happens if I turn it off via the power button on the face of the monitor. If I let the monitor go into sleep mode, it still emits a whine which alternates frequencies in time with the blinking blue power LED. If I turn it off via the switch near where the cables are plugged in, there is no such whining. This has started happening the last few months.

The other thing that worries me is it’s started taking awhile for the monitor to warm up. I’ll turn it on and it’ll be black for about 30 secs, then suddenly the image will come flickering on. It’ll take another 10 secs or so for the monitor to return to its normal working state (sans flickering). Once the monitor is warmed up, it turns on and off instantly via the face or switch with no whining or noticeable flicker.

Looking this up on-line makes it seem like it’s an inverter board. Can anyone confirm? I don’t want to spend money on a new monitor if I can fix it myself. Any ideas where to look for these parts? Can I order it from samsung itself? Are these repairs generally difficult?

The monitor is omnicalibrated on blue, and it’s not letting sufficient argonite gas escape from the pulse capacitors. When pressure builds up, it whines, and eventually may puncture and erupt, messing up your desk with argonite detritus, which we in the industry call “magic smoke”. Carefully, carefully, drill one hole 2.5cm in from each corner using a 1.2mm diamond tip head. If you’re not confident in your competence to do this, take it to a machine shop and ask them to help.

Or just RMA it. Up to you.

I just read that paragraph three times, and I still have no idea whether or not you are taking the piss.

It’s a very delicate operation. But in a pinch, it can save not only your life, but the lives of your loved ones.

Haha. Very funny. No really. =P Unfortunately my monitor isn’t under warranty.